BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well........it took five years but, they finally caught up with me. I got stopped in a Delta police ispection team roadblock on the way home from work and they gave me an inspection order because I didn't have a plate illumination light on my rear plate. The also stung me with a registration defect.
I was told by a friend in ICBC that when I did the conversion on my jimmy and put the cab and box on I would still be able to use the same registration. So......... I drilled the regi tag off my jimmy tub and pop riveted it onto my 77 cab. Five years and several roadblocks later no problem...until these guys. Seems they are sticklers in Delta and ordered me to adjust the registration.
My question is...If any of you have made a custom conversion and if so what did you have to do about registration???
Any help would be appreciated, however, if there is no solution I will be parting out the truck and you folks get first dibs.

Thanx, Chris

------------------
Chris 81 Jimmy conv. 77 GMC cab, custom shorty box, no lift, BFG A/T 9.5 33's, primer grey red hood Its ugly but it gets me where I need to go.

·
Registered
416 Posts
My brother put an 85 f-150 body on an 79
f-100 frame.He had to have it inspected and then they gave the inspection facitly a new vin# to put on his truck.This registers it as an u-bulit.

------------------
"Born and Bred To Rip and Shred"

·
1,269 Posts
A rear plate illumination light? What if your truck doesn't have one? Mine doesn't. That's such BS man.

------------------
"You bobbed it how many inches? NINETEEN?!?! Oh my..."

·
Registered
55 Posts
if it had it when it came off the assembly line it required to work. DOT and traffic cops can be the most misserable pricks youll ever encounter. I personally have had trouble with a french cop in delta regarding an old jacked up 79 f250 that i built out of many trucks when i worked at the wreckers. he claimed that the regy i gave him didnt belong to the truck i was driving. just cause it wasnt very pretty after 10 years of beating on it. i faught it in delta court and the judge thru it out. thank god that i was smart enough to take many pics in all stages , when i built it. this french f#**#ing pr#ck lied thru his teeth to the judge on more than one occasion and the judge still sided with me. i didnt beleive it. I got away with a measly seatbelt fine. and ill never forget that cop. I pray that one day ill stop to help him broke down on the side of the road.

------------------
if you cant lift it, slam it

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
Originally posted by Big Bad Pete:
A rear plate illumination light? What if your truck doesn't have one? Mine doesn't. That's such BS man.

Yours came with one from the factory Pete.

[This message has been edited by Wil (edited March 09, 2002).]

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Get a cheap/free pickup truck and swap the VIN over. (Oops! Did I say that?)

A pickup parading around as a Blazer/Jimmy is bound to get attention - especially when it has car plates.

One guy I know bought a newer cab for his truck, but junked his old cab before removing the VIN. (DOH!) He ended up registering as a U-built with a BC assigned VIN.

------------------
Current shopping list:
YJ front springs (stock)
5.13 or 3.91 gears for Dana 44
4 & 6 cylinder diesel engines

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK How do I re-register it as a u-built??

------------------
Chris 81 Jimmy conv. 77 GMC cab, custom shorty box, no lift, BFG A/T 9.5 33's, primer grey red hood Its ugly but it gets me where I need to go.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Call your local insurance company and inquire they should have all the details you need.

------------------
"Born and Bred To Rip and Shred"

·
Registered
55 Posts
you need the original reg from the jimmy for the frame and the current regy from the cab. take them to icbc and theyll give you some paperwork to fill out. when they eccept that you then have to get the whole mess inspected and apon passing, the inspection facility will issue you a bc assigned vin.
Originally posted by wiley77:
OK How do I re-register it as a u-built??

------------------

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Hmmmm, cool, I could have a Ubuilt Jeep if I want to

Problem, I bought an 84 Cherokee body to replace my well abused 91 cherokees body.
I'm gonna put my entire drivetrain, wiring harness, and interior into the 84.

I removed the dash of the 84. The serial number tag stayed on the dash.

Doesn't the law state that the serial number has to stay with the vehicle? And isnt it illegal to tamper with the serial number tag?

I will take both sets of registration which are both in my name to Motor Vehicle Branch office and ask them.
Should be an easy way to kill a day.

I hope I can get u-bilt status. That would be great at the auto parts store.
What year and make is your vehicle? Uhh, 2002 U Built.

------------------
Dan
Herd of Turtles Four Wheel Drive Society

·
Registered
802 Posts
Wouldn't you then have to pass 2002 emissions standards? I thought you could specify the year of your u-built... umm, it's a 1972 u-built. The year before the major emissions.

------------------
Greg Sue
85 Toyota X-cab
http://media-north.com/4wd/

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I think that the VI had a lot more to do with the VIN than the plate lamp.

You are lucky that you got to drive home. I will consider seizing the vehicle for examination of the secondary VIN numbers in some cases like these.

Using the VI is one way of making sure the VIN problem is solved as you can't complete inspection properly until it is done.

There are also a few tickets under the Motor Vehicle Act that could have been written, but didn't by the sounds of things.

Amazing that it took 5 checks before someone that was thorough and possessed the correct knowledge to catch this....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok regi from the jimmy and.........regi from the cab. Ooops what if I don't have a regi for the cab I can see this being a serious problem.
Anyon ewant to buy it???

------------------

·
1,269 Posts
Originally posted by Wil:
Yours came with one from the factory Pete.
[This message has been edited by Wil (edited March 09, 2002).]
Are you sure? I have an Arizona box and there's no wiring, mounting spot, or evidence of there ever having been one. My old Canadian style box may have had one but I never looked.

------------------
"You bobbed it how many inches? NINETEEN?!?! Oh my..."

·
Registered
55 Posts
what do you clasify a secondary vin. any vin number other than the one on the dash? you're obviously a law enforcement officer of some kind so why dont you give some insight into the proper channels one must take to reregister a rebuilt vehicle. im sure many here would be interested in just such a thing. it might even motivate some to go back and take the proper channel now that it has been brought to ones attention. you know nine out of ten people dont do this sort of thing with criminal intentions. i know many people who have built a vehicle thinking they were doing this wonderful thing only to find out that it could get them in touble. like you guys love to say," ignorance is no excuse for the law". but hows the average joe supposed to get that kind of info. i guess it must be written in that little law abiding handbook that every canadian is handed at birth.funny. im pretty sure i havent ever received any updates.

everybody needs a traffic cop buddy to keep them informed of whats lawful and what mite land oneself in court. instead of tellin us that youd want to investigate further why not offer some advice. or maybe even get a number for someone to contact that would know.how can we be expected to know every motor vehicle law in affect.

feeuw. boy, i just stopped and reread what i wrote. ive obviously been wanting to get that off my chest for some time. anyways obviously there are good reasons for the harsh penalties around any vin tampering but why do police have to act like heartless authority mongers when they stop you for a minor offence. when i got my 79 parked, just cause officer "not so friendly" felt like pressin his powers, it cost me alot of money. my truck got towed across the ferry. i was haulin a car trailer, totally legal and in good shape, so i had to hire someone to tow it home. plus loser cop took my liscence plates so i had to pay a penalty for not haveing them to turn in at cancellation. plus i had to lose a day of work and go to delta or whereever courthouse.
And that hipocritical bastard lied under oath. or maybe his memory lacked him. whatever. im a law abiding citizen. heck, he even removed my volunteer firemen plate. for the average joe like myself and wiley77, whos vin obviously isnt stolen and whose truck is probably in relatively good shape, why not just give him a little note. for most people just the fact that theyve been stopped and told is enough to get them to straighten things up. a personal friend of mine who also happens to be an ex-RCMP staff seargeant told me that my only mistake was not removing all serial numbers when i did my cab swap.when icbc goes the way of the dinosour maybe all that stuff will become a little more lax. come to think of it i wonder how they deal with such things in alberta or sask. i could go on for ever but i better leave room for others. just my 2bits. damn that felt good. sorry if i sounded a little p#$$ed off skidmark but you must have touched a sensitive spot in my heart.
Originally posted by skidmark:
I think that the VI had a lot more to do with the VIN than the plate lamp.

You are lucky that you got to drive home. I will consider seizing the vehicle for examination of the secondary VIN numbers in some cases like these.

Using the VI is one way of making sure the VIN problem is solved as you can't complete inspection properly until it is done.

There are also a few tickets under the Motor Vehicle Act that could have been written, but didn't by the sounds of things.

Amazing that it took 5 checks before someone that was thorough and possessed the correct knowledge to catch this....
------------------

[This message has been edited by 73 f100 (edited March 13, 2002).]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey thanx f100 I couldn't have said it better myself......obviously....because I didn't

I still need to know if I can do anything without the regi from the 77 cab.

------------------

·
Registered
55 Posts
probably the only thing you can do without the reg is do an owner search on the cab serial # and then contact that person and get the cab in your name then go to icbc and apply for a bc assigned vin. they ll tell you the rest. but without ownership of the cab serial # youre probably screwed.
Originally posted by wiley77:
Hey thanx f100 I couldn't have said it better myself......obviously....because I didn't

I still need to know if I can do anything without the regi from the 77 cab.

------------------

·
Chump
624 Posts
Originally posted by Big Bad Pete:
Are you sure? I have an Arizona box and there's no wiring, mounting spot, or evidence of there ever having been one. My old Canadian style box may have had one but I never looked.

Just get those Ricer style "Light'n'Boltz" from Lordco. They are license plate bolts and lights built into one. I have them and it makes me fit right in with the Richmond crowd

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by 73 f100:
probably the only thing you can do without the reg is do an owner search on the cab serial # and then contact that person and get the cab in your name then go to icbc and apply for a bc assigned vin. they ll tell you the rest. but without ownership of the cab serial # youre probably screwed.

------------------

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by 73 f100:

Thanx a lot for your input man I appreciate it. As it turns out I just found out through a friend of a friend, who is an vehicle inspector. The only thing I can do is take in both regi's to icbc and get a u-built regi # after inspection so...... seing as I don't have the regi for the cab you're right I'm screwed again so.....I'm parking it on the 25th and will be parting it out. Too bad ....its an awesome truck. If anyones interested I'll have an ad in forsale next week with some pics and the specs.
Thanx to everyone who commented

Chris

------------------

1 - 20 of 23 Posts