BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone been up the Relay Creek road in the last few years? My map shows a road extending almost to the back end of the creek (way past Mud Creek). Wondering how far up the road is driveable for a stocker 4X4 and a good driver. I have heard rumours that it is decent all the way to the end. I have only been as far as Taylor Creek.

Anyone been up to Taseko Lakes? The same map shows a road going down the east side of the lakes to the far side of Battlement Ridge. I know you can get to the north end of the lake, but I'm wondering how far past the south end of the lake the road goes in driveable form.

Thanks, any info would be great.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I was up Relay a few years ago. It was stockable all the way to a dead end.

The area between Relay/Tyaughten and Taseko lakes is known as Warner Pass. It is a no motorized vehicles area.

The Fish Lake mine is gearing up again, so the road down from Lee's Corner is much improved.

Wes

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info Wes, do you remember how far up past Taylor the dead end was? The map makes it look like it ends ~35 km past Tyaughton Lake (Tyax Lodge). Did you notice if a horse trail continued up the valley from the dead end?

I was thinking about trying to get into Big Creek on foot from the top end of Relay. If we can get close enough it makes it feasible. I don't want to spend 2 days walking up an old horse trail just to get to the end of Relay!:)

Have you been south of Fish Lake on the Taseko side?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Where abouts is this place?? Is it a fun trail to drive on or a cool scenic route??

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
2 years ago I drove down to Big Onion lake, just a km or so north of Taseko Lake. Fish Lake was a left fork some distance back from there. The road sort of peters out after that. I have not been into Fish, but the guy that was camped beside me went with his ATV into the mine site that is now being rebuilt. Mentioned that the road keeps going (to the mine?). But nothing went through.

As for the Relay side. That road goes a long way up. I do not think any map is correct with regards to it (that I have found anyways). I know it dead ends, but not sure if there are any trails there. It was getting dark when we were there and a hiking trail is not what we were looking for.

I have not found any really accurate maps of that area. Forestry has cut in so many roads so fast that any maps produced quickly became out of date.

I intend to be up in that area this weekend coming from the east over the China Head Ridge

Wes

PS Mudhucker, you have mail

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Yep, Lee's Corner west of Williams Lake. It is a high grade main road now all the way to Chilco and beyond (I do not know how far beyond as I turned onto the unmaintained tire eating, rim destroying really cool wagon road that heads up the east side of Chilco lake to Tatla.

The road that heads south from it to Taseko and Fish is much improved and is supposeably getting better. Just stay out of the meadows down there. The marks of stupid people getting suck in them was apparent.

Wes

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Wes.

I'd agree with you on the lack of accurate maps for the general area, I have been up around Tyaughton Lake and Taylor Creek (for some hiking, I don't drive in the meadows!) and the topo maps that I had were hopelessly out of date. My BC Backroads book doesn't have maps for the area.

I might try someone in Lillooet in the forestry office, or maybe the C.O.'s to see if they know how far up the road goes before the dead end.

I might try to drive up there in August (long day from Kamloops) to scout it out before we commit to taking that route with 50 pound packs in September....:eek:

Have a good drive over China Head. I've only been as far as Schraeder Lake from that end. Looks like nice country.

Mudhucker:

Relay Creek is north of Gold Bridge, it runs into Carpenter Lake. Lots of old roads and new roads in the general area. I haven't spent much time in the area; Lars has a link in an earlier thread in this forum.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Sounds like a nice drive, maybe i'll go for a run up there next spring when it'll be all muddy and have scenic routes:******* :mullet

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
The meadows are along side the road at the north end of Taseko lake.

As for Mud Lakes being muddy. Not likely. Mud Lakes have a nice muddy bottom thus making them poor for swimming, but the road past the lakes is pretty good dirt and the rest is rock. Though there is a little bit of a muddy road near Churn Cr. but there is a bypass around the mud.

Wes

G

·
i have been out that way many times for service calls when i lived in williams lake it is paved all the way to bella coola. i have been to chilko lake lodge to fix there gen set its awsome out there would like to out wheeling that way .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts