BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone got any tricks to remove them, When my truck was stolen they took the key and everything. thanks

Peter

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Welding a piece of steel onto them works pretty well. Or hammering on a socket that just barely fits and then using an impact wrench or maybe a ratchet wrench might do it.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
261 Posts
what I did was put a socket on it and pound the sh1t out of the socket so it jams on , very slowly chrank the sucker off , works like a charm. I dont know if snap-on sells a tool for this , wouldnt that defeat the purpose and crooks could steal any tires they wanted?but maybe they do sell this tool?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what if i grind a slit into it and then use a chizel and a hammer, think that would work?

·
Registered
261 Posts
ohhh beat you to this one by a few seconds lars. heh :D
chisel dosnt work worth beens , been there done that.

·
Silverback
1,270 Posts
How many do you have to do?

I got one off after lengthy use of a bastard file and a large pair of vice-grips (with my Hi-lift handle for added torque)....ya use what you have available... :(

If you have a grinder it'd be a lot faster; you can "make" a decent nut to allow your vice-grips some purchase.

It helped to torque the other nuts down to 105 ft/lbs to minimize the pressure on the locked nut.

Good luck

·
Registered
36 Posts
DMMcG said:
I got one off after lengthy use of a bastard file and a large pair of vice-grips (with my Hi-lift handle for added torque)....ya use what you have available... :(
This works, I know from experience, althought it took forever!!! Somehow, I lost the key for mine when we were in Mexico, and I didn't want to drive back on my swampers, I would've done almost anything to get them off!!!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
KEV said:
ohhh beat you to this one by a few seconds lars. heh :D
chisel dosnt work worth beens , been there done that.
A chizel alone may not work but a chizel a grinder and vise grips does. I cut a slit and then hit it with the chizel to loosen it then grinded two sides flat and used the vise grips. worked great about 2 min a nut.
thanks guys

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Craftsman 12 point socket. use a craftsman extention to get further from the rim. beat it on with a B.H.F. A ratchet with a piece of pipe is all you need . One socket does 4 locknuts. Then take your slightly buggered socket and/or extention to Sears and replace it with a new one:D :D
I know from experience, I've done 2 sets of my own locknuts, Now I don't use them cause when I need them off, I've always lost the key:(
but you can order a 2nd key from the cerial number on the box.

The 'gator grip' will work. The socket with all the pins in it, but if it works for 2 nuts your lucky, usualy bends and buggers on the first nut. IME

·
Registered
443 Posts
I may be mistaken but I think that the wreckers have boxes full of those keys you may be able to go by and find one that works. If not, take a grinder and you can actually take an extra 10 minutes on each and actually grind 6 sides and use whichever socket fits on there and not bother with the vice grips, sometimes they are a pain in the ass. It may actually save you time if you've got an impact gun. Dont get me wrong, I love ViceGrips!!!!:D

·
Registered
327 Posts
There is a tool for this. It looks like a socket but is somewhat threaded inside. They come in different sizes, so when you put it on the lug and try to take it off the threads inside tighten on. Thus loosening the lug.

Snap on would most likely have them. But you are probably looking around 30-40 bucks per socket..

Jaosn

·
Registered
544 Posts
we have 5 different kits at work,each of which have between 5 and 15 different sizes and styles.it only take like 2 minutes to do all of them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sometimes you can fit a nut cracker on the nut and get a quarter turn with it. Do that a couple of times and it'll be loose enough.

Not a 'nuts that you eat' cracker, a little steel vise type of thing with a chisel point that you normally use to tighten onto a nut until the chisel point splits the nut.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have seen them removed by welding a lug nut on the end, that worked quickly. But I would think a tire shop would make quick work of them for a few bucks.
Ken

·
Registered
78 Posts
lock nuts

At our store we tried that $250 set from mac, Its crap.
We use 12 pt sockets with an extension on it, just like what was said already, Works like a hot damn!!!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Pw82 said:
anyone got any tricks to remove them, When my truck was stolen they took the key and everything. thanks

Peter
Found out the hard way that using a pair of vice grips and some elbow grease eventually does the job, jus keep jumping on the vice grips when you figure out how to keep them on the nut. it does work beleive me:D

:canada:

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
BTW, if you have mag wheels where the lug nuts are recessed into the wheel, options like using ViseGrips are eliminated. Welding becomes more difficult, too. Steels wheels are much easier to work with for many of these procedures.

Dale, nice idea about tightening the other lug nuts. I've never heard of that one before!

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
135 Posts
I work at canadian tire were have a snap-on tool that takes them off no problem. If you want to come out to abby. Or a good way that works 12 point socket. It work just as good.:D

·
Silverback
1,270 Posts
lars said:

Dale, nice idea about tightening the other lug nuts. I've never heard of that one before!

...lars
...you know how it is with the "mechanically dis-inclined" - we just do stuff that's rational. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. Whether it really made a difference in this case is anyone's guess. ;)

I have no idea how many ft/lbs a stud can take before stripping, but I applied 5 lbs increments 'til I could get the trashed lock nut to turn.

NB: I, being the challenged individual that I am, made the mistake of torquing the lock nuts down to spec, assuming that they were engineered to act as any other lug nut. I wasn't too impressed when the key cracked the fitted end of the nut and I wasn't able to get my wheel off. Needless to say, I've now got a better design.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts