BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sooo....here it is..i have a yj that is allmost stock...(shackle lift,3" body lift, and 31 at's....good deck, allarm....and it has a 4 banger...)..so here's the deall..i am able to get a cj-7 renigade with,
1983 CJ7 " RENIGADE"
-4.2L, 5 SPEED JUST PUT IN ABOUT 6 MOUNTHS AGO

-ALL NEW FRONT END, U-JOINTS, TIE RODS, STEERING BOX BRACE
-NEW 33" SUPER SWAMPER SSR'S
-SWAY BAR DISCONNECTS
-NEW 4 INCH LIFT
-NEW SHOCKS "BLACK DIMOND"
-NEW SOFT TOP
-PUTTING NEW CARB ON IT TOMMOROW(non electric carb on now)
- K&N FILTER KIT

sounds good to me..is there any weak links in the renigades that i should be aware of??? thanks Cam

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 4.2 L is the worst engine you can get in a CJ/YJ, however, I think I recall it being rather high torque.

I wouldn't mind knowing the details on the "all new front end," was there an axle swap or was it just replaced parts? Hehehe, if it has tie rods I might be worried :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok....i'm going to look at it in a hour or so..i'll take some pics and find out all the details....Thanks for the reply..CAm....and why would u be woried if it has tie rods??

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
The Renegade is just a trim line AFAIK.

The 4.2 is OK, but it is not that great. A better carb fixes some of the problems. It has lots of torque, but no HP
The Rear end is likely a AMC Model 20. Factory were 2 piece axle shafts. A known problem. Simple solution is to have the one-piece shafts installed
What are the gears? Has it been regeared? I think factory was 3.31.
Check for rust. Aside from the obvious body rust, look at the rear spring mounts on the frame. They like to rust out.

Good Luck
Wes

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Good point about the spring hangers Wes, he's right, they do rust out like crazy. A lot of Yota's I've seen have springs that seem to be barely hanging on.

I was just kinda joking with you about the tie "rods" :) There should only be one tie rod, if it's got more, I'd ask questions :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
For wheeling, the 4.2L is AWESOME for tourque, only problem is the carb. However I had no real huge carb problems, and the tourque allows you to crawl over obstacles at very low rpm's without worrying about stalling. But like everyone else said, they don't have much power, you won't be passing anybody uphilll on a highway that's for sure.
It's a CJ, so check for rust and rust. Aside from what the others mentioned, check the body mounts for rust. I don't think there's anything mechanically different between renegades other than trim. I think the only difference in the YJ renegades was the weird looking boxy fenders.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmmmmm...just got back....looked sorta "bad"..the body wasn't in the best shape...lots(and i mean lots of rust...) engine was good...(had a rebuild...)but there was an exhaust leak...um..the ssr's had less than a week on them..:)..didn't look like a 4inch lift......tires wouldn't stuff at all i think.....looked mechanicialy good...but to sell the yj(perfect condition) to buy a beater, doesn't suit me.....(well sorta...)..so i'm gonna go fishing(as a deckhand) and make some money for some dana 44's and go to the 33 ssr's....maybee a locker or 2.....do you guys think i could fit the 33's with 4 inches of lift???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts