BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my rear wheel bearings but my Haynes manual says that I need to take it to a shop and have them remove the old ones and press in the new ones...

Do I have to do this or can I do it my self? How hard is it? And what tools do I need?

secondly? Where can I take my Differential(w/Locker) to get it tweaked up and just looked over? I just want to make sure it's all tight?

-Flyboy

·
Registered
75 Posts
You can take the bearings off by using a chisel to split the bearing in half.

To put new ones on is quite a bit harder though. You can heat the bearing up in a pot of oil on the stove and then try to slide it on by using a pipe and a hammer but it's not very easy. Any shop with a press will be able to put the bearings on in a couple of minutes. I usually take mine to Breeze.

Why do you want your diff looked at? Peace of mind? Or is it making strange sounds or something?

Good luck.
Robin.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thx Robin.

Ya I want the diff looked at for peice of mind. It bangs alot. Which I am told happens. But since I dont' have anything to compare it with, then I don't know if it is more than usual. Also there is (What I think) alot of slop, I mean Twisting play in the D/S and Axles. In other words if I grab the D/S and twist it, it will turn about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch or so before the gears mesh. If that makes sence. I think that alot of the extra banging is from the slot in my bearings though, But not sure. What ya think?

I know the bearings and seals are shot because I was out campin on the weekend and the next day when we were loading up the sammy I noticed that the inside of the tires were full of oil dripping down them. Today I took the drums off and learned it was the seals, and I have lots of up down play in the wheels if I shake them.

-Flyboy

·
Registered
75 Posts
Flyboy said:

Ya I want the diff looked at for peice of mind. It bangs alot. Which I am told happens. But since I dont' have anything to compare it with, then I don't know if it is more than usual. Also there is (What I think) alot of slop, I mean Twisting play in the D/S and Axles. In other words if I grab the D/S and twist it, it will turn about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch or so before the gears mesh. If that makes sence. I think that alot of the extra banging is from the slot in my bearings though, But not sure. What ya think?
That all sounds normal to me, if there wasn't any metal shavings in the oil and you're diff isn't whining while driving then I wouldn't worry about it.

I know the bearings and seals are shot because I was out campin on the weekend and the next day when we were loading up the sammy I noticed that the inside of the tires were full of oil
Yup, they're definitely toast. I would definitely not be driving it if the bearings are going, they're the only thing holding your axles in.

Robin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts