BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm just starting out as a Jeeper so hopefully you will all bare with my questions. Ok I just got a 3 1/2" sus lift and a 2" body lift on my CJ-7. I'm having to chase my steering, just a little bit I'm still chasing it. The guy that put it on said if I install reverse shackles that will fix that problem. Does this sound about right?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey dude, Troy has done just fine so far. and i have heared that they do help the chasing but not enough to be worth it.

------------------
95'YJ (my toy)
83'CJ8 (Staying stock)

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by Rhino:
I'm having to chase my steering, just a little bit I'm still chasing it. The guy that put it on said if I install reverse shackles that will fix that problem
What is "chasing" the steering?

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I'd be looking for mechanical problems before looking for fancy solutions. Are you sure you don't have slop in your ball joints or steering that is causing the problem?

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

·
Registered
5 Posts
Check the caster angle, it may have changed with the lift, should be around 6 to 8 degrees, 6 is better.
Did you add lift shackles too? this will also change caster.
Ball joints worn? Tie rod ends worn? Wheel bearings worn?
A shackle reverse is very nice, I've used them for years but they need to be setup correctly to work good( moving axle forward, arched springs only, ect) but you should find out why the lift you added made your handling worse and fix it frist.

------------------
PYRO@
Big Island RockCrawlers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds good. I'll check on those things as soon as I pull in. (out to see, in the Navy). I know that when I was going to have the Reverse Shackles out in he was talking about moving the axle forward. I'll check on the other stuff though. Thanks for the help.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by Rhino:
The guy that put it on said if I install reverse shackles that will fix that problem. Does this sound about right?
I can't see how a shackle reversal with take care of wander. I'd look for worn ball joints (knuckles, tie rods, drag link) and make sure you have enough caster. Also check the alignment and make sure there's enough toe-in.

A shackle reversal doesn't have any inherent advantage in providing a stable front end, AFAIK.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds good. I'll check on those things as soon as I pull in. (out to see, in the Navy). I know that when I was going to have the Reverse Shackles out in he was talking about moving the axle forward. I'll check on the other stuff though. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Also check to make sure the steering components are tightened down...

...another thing to look for.

------------------
Phil M. - Kent, WA
95 XJ Sport w/Stuff
"Who cares about a list of crap, can you drive it?"

[This message has been edited by nikon_jeeper (edited October 07, 2001).]

·
Registered
237 Posts
I had the same problem with my jeep at high speeds, the steering would travel to teh left, so I just put in a heavier steering stabilizer, its all fine now.

------------------
Blue 1981 CJ5 31" tires
*Damnit, anyone see where that door went?"
Mods? well I hold my muffler up with a coat hanger.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.