BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am swapping the pitiful 3.08's for 3.73's in an '80 GMC (DANA 44 and GM 12 bolt). I am reusing the original carriers. If I replace the old shims with new shims of the same thickness am I going to be close on the setup? I hate to have to remove the bearings again to change shims!

·
Registered
180 Posts
be very careful when doing that, if you dontknow what you are doing you could blow it up or wear the teeth out.not to imply you dont know what you are doing

G

·
hey BRO
i had a bud that did that swap, his rear blew up after about 2 weeks, (broken chunks of gears all in the diff)
tires wouldnt even spin!!!
but he got it right the second time around, you have to hit and miss a few times,
if i was buying your truck, id take alot off the price knowing you did them yourself
just cuz it takes an expert to get it right.

·
Registered
382 Posts
BRO
link to the Randy's ring and pinion page from this site
Randy Lyman himself (THE man) has a super informative guide to ring and pinion installs on there
read it and you will be able to set the gears up right........

------------------
1948 WILLYS flatfender
Gradually becoming un-toyotafied.......Got 4.3???
http://www.ottindustries.com

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Crewcab---
I got sidetracked on a few other things. The spiders were shot in the front so I had to order those. I have read everything I can find on the subject including tech library at Randy's web site. I plan to check backlash, pattern, pinion preload etc. I was just hoping that using the original size shims with the original carrier would get me to a close starting point and I would only have to make a couple minor adjustments? I definitely want to do it right the first time!

Thanks for the interest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts