BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all
does anyone have a home-fabed set of rock rails out there ?
i want to make a set for my bronco,but i am not sure on what thickness i should be lookin at/what dia, of pipe works best
where does a guy mount them, to the frame cab mounts or floor pan?
any thoughts would be apreishgieated :p

·
1,269 Posts
Schedule 40 or if you have a big enough bender, 80, pipe, brace as much as possible and weld or bolt (I prefer weld) to the frame, NOT the floor pan.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
yes bolt to frame.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya i got a 16 ton pipe bender from princess auto
works good
now to bolt to frame that will extend out to the side of my body panels right,
my thoughts on that were that might cause eccessive leverage
out that far,
with a big heavy slvt of a truck,would i have to worry about bending the frane if it comes down on that bar hard?

·
Registered
608 Posts
I am presently building my rock sliders out of 2" SH80 pipe and I am using 90deg fittings to return it to my frame. You should bolt to your frame close to a cross-mem. I would recomend using a plate on the other side of the frame so it is sandwedged.
This is just how I am building mine.:welder

·
Registered
708 Posts
im using 3.5x3.5 1/4 inch thick square tube fer sliders fer my toy :) i have fawking 24 feet of it so i may as well use it!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I am looking to build a set for my Runner, watching this thread with interest. Anyone have any good designs with measurements that would fit my truck? :D

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I've heard of people using both frame and body mounts with good success. Build it with frame only mounting in mind...then give it pads to let it brace itself against the body when under high pressure.

This way...if it isn't too hard, it will just be taken by the rail and no problem. If there is a large weight, it will spread the weight accross the body and protect it from scratching. It will also stop frame damage from falling down onto a rock hard or something.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
After destroying my rockerpanels because I refused to put rock sliders under them and give up precious ground clearance I just cut out my rocker panels and replaced them with 3"x4" box tubing.

·
Registered
108 Posts
dan you talkin about your xj right, did you just weld to the body sheet metal and where did you cut. only got a quick look.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ideally mount them to the frame and body, but jack them up very tightly to the body (ie: jack the side of your truck right off the ground) before drilling the mounting holes or welding them on.

Here is a good link to sliders for Jeeps, but the basic design could be adapted to other vehicles:

sliders

Jon

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanx for the info shag
but uh just one thing,,
i have never jacked off my bronco,:laugh
not sure were to start jacking:D
should i get a mustang book to put in front of it?
just kiddin' thanx again ! i like the look of it on that jeep,

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's a Jeep thing, I guess Bronco's don't have things, more like a Gelding eh?:laugh:

seriously though, Kevin's sliders are regarded as some of the best sliders for Jeeps, and I can't see any major mods needed to do the same style slider for other vehicles.

Now I just have to wait for my Olympics to finish rusting off so I have an excuse to upgrade.

·
Registered
182 Posts
check out the tech section of 2bigbroncos there is a cool set up for rock sliders

1 - 15 of 15 Posts