BC 4x4 Forums banner

Role Cage

4K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  creeper 
#1 ·
Hey guys, how hard is it to put a full roll cage in a 95'YJ, and about how much am i looking to spend?

------------------
95'YJ (my toy)
83'CJ8 (Staying stock)

#2 ·
You can order weld in and bolt in kits for your YJ which usually include a front hoop and 2 spreader bars which connect to your stock roll bar for about $200. Smittybuilt makes a really good kit. Otherwise a fully custom cage can cost you up to $1000 depending on how elaborate you want to get

#8 ·
My Homemade tube bender should be finished soon. If it works well I wouldn't mind renting it out for pretty cheap, that is if you want to build your own rollcage or know someone who does...

Reason why Im renting it out is because I wouldn't mind paying all the parts off by lending it to others.

#9 ·
how much do you have into your tubing bender now?

------------------
-'85 XJ,2dr,4cyl,5spd,31x10.5's,2"lift,onboard air,bla,bla,bla,
-'82 J-10 Project truck, 258 straight 6, 5spd, 30x9.5's
"its not what you drive, or where you drive,
its driving what you have to where you want to go"

#10 ·
Ahh not very much. Lets see ummm 20+100+20+20+metal which i got for free.

so id say about 160 included (includes the device for measuring angles, elbow, jack etc)

with metal it will probably cost 200

im not sure if it works though. my email address is energyforce@home.com

email me for more details. I dont have the time to finish it, but it needs 1 more days work thats all....

#11 ·
I dunno if its any different from a tubing bender but KMS has a Pipe Bender regular price like $269 includes dies, 12ton jack, mounting frame, etc. we used something like it at school to build a dragster. the KMS here in abbotsford has one on display with a demonstration piece of pretty thick walled bout 2" pipe(somthing that probally be used for roll cages) showing a good bend and a bad bend. looks pretty sweet.

------------------
-'85 XJ,2dr,4cyl,5spd,31x10.5's,2"lift,onboard air. hmmm, extra cab,short box XJ anyone?
-'82 J-10 Project truck, 258 straight 6, 5spd, 30x9.5's
"its not what you drive, or where you drive,
its driving what you have to where you want to go"

#12 ·
Originally posted by crazyguy:
I dunno if its any different from a tubing bender but KMS has a Pipe Bender regular price like $269 includes dies, 12ton jack, mounting frame, etc. we used something like it at school to build a dragster. the KMS here in abbotsford has one on display with a demonstration piece of pretty thick walled bout 2" pipe(somthing that probally be used for roll cages) showing a good bend and a bad bend. looks pretty sweet.

I was warned many times that a pipe bender is NOT a tube bender. I was also warned a couple of times that you cannot use pipes for rollcages. Using tubes on a pipe bender will wrinkle the tubes at the bend.

I was actually planning on building a pipe bender. It looked easy to build one. When I found out this information I wanted to be safe and i changed all my plans to build the more complicated tube bender.

Im not experienced with all of this and I personally have never used either a tube bender or pipe bender.

Let me know what you think?? I wanna learn!

#14 ·
waterlogged,

i'd be willing to build or help build your roll cage. i just finished building jeepster's cage. has over 80 ft of tube in it. all supported and tied into the frame. both racing buckets are tied into the cage and so are the harnesses. if you or anyone else wants to take a look at it please feel free to give me or jeepster a email on our home addresses.
www.rockhuggers@home.com

steve
westcoast rockhuggers offroad club

#15 ·
waterlogged,

creeper again. just realized your from usa. so i guess you won't be look at the cage anytime soon. kind of tired when i responded. i can email you pics if your interested to see what it looked like. for anyone else, the prevous message still applies.

steve

#17 ·
Originally posted by cornjeeper:
why don't you just post them with the est. prices????

i would but it depends on how much tube i have to buy, and how elabrate of a cage is wanted. have to design the cage first and then figure out approx. how much tubing is used. i don't want to have to be running out to metal supermarket more than once. if you want a quote you can email me. give me a hand doing it, i cut the cost.

steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.