1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all
I am currently building a roll cage for a full size bronco
i am using regular ol' run of the mill pipe,
2 1/2 " main bar (behind the front seats)
2" inside the cab (by the sun visors)
also out to the back of the box

my question is ,using a pipe bender to get the radius of the bars
and various curves of the cab has forced me into making the bars in several pieces,all to be welded together to make one continuous bar,
is there another way i should be doing this?
if not should i use a sleeve in the joined areas,
i plan of grinding a "v" at each but section to be welded
the pipe is about a 1/4 " thick, penatration wont be a problem

could someone add some thoughts here,

p.s. i thought of using other materials like dom pipe
and tubing like cromo,but the shear mass of the regular pipe has to compensate enough for it's supposedly weak construction(welded seem and such) as well it just about maxes out a 16 ton pipe bender to bend it,it is probly strong enough for a roll cage,(or so my little brain thinks)

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Your building a fullsize cage out of 1/4" pipe??? I hope you have a 6" lift, cause it's gunna look stock when you are done. Thats gunna be one heavy Mo-Fo.
No need for 1/4" if its braced and triangulated right. Have you figured out how much 1/4" wieghs per foot, compaired to how much footage is in your cage??
Most use .120 tube (1/8"ish wall).
DOM is like $10 bucks a foot, or something crazy.
Chromo would be crazy aswell.
Why not regular tubing??

·
Registered
190 Posts
Schedule 40 is going to be about 5.7 lbs a foot, 80 is close to 7.7lbs a foot in a 2 1/2" O.D. The 2" is 3.6 to 5 lbs for schedule 40 and 80. :eek:

Dood I hope you have one bigass honkin' motor!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
true!
it's going to be heavy

but is this pipe going to have it easy,in the event of a roll over?

if i bulk up on the pipe wont that be a good thing?

oh by the way i have 500hp,

no sh!t

the truck has packed 2000lbs of water for the last 8mo's
every couple of days

it does not sag at all,well it does a bit when you got that much wait in it.but springs are cheap,

but nobody has adressed the issue of weather i should sleeve my joints yet,

my thoughts were if i make my own cage vs. an after market company,with light weight tube,that i would have to use the over-kill principal,thats why i choose the pipe

thanx for your replies so far!:welder

·
Registered
113 Posts
sleeve it

I think thats a good idea to sleeve the joints. It's your head man!!!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
If ya do sleeve it, sleeve the inside. Other wise it prob. look cheesy.
I seen a guy that narrowed a roll bar from somethin else He sleeved the outside, and man it looked wrong.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Rogue Bronco said:
Your building a fullsize cage out of 1/4" pipe??? I hope you have a 6" lift, cause it's gunna look stock when you are done. Thats gunna be one heavy Mo-Fo.
No need for 1/4" if its braced and triangulated right. Have you figured out how much 1/4" wieghs per foot, compaired to how much footage is in your cage??
Most use .120 tube (1/8"ish wall).
DOM is like $10 bucks a foot, or something crazy.
Chromo would be crazy aswell.
Why not regular tubing??
Sorry to jump in on this ,but 'regular tube' would be HREW stuff?

·
Registered
296 Posts
jus wanted to know is what he calls regular tube- is that HREW? cause the fancy stuff is DOM right?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I wouldn't recommend pipe for a cage. Rock sliders yes, links ok, but for your cage I would recommend 2" x .120 ERW.

DOM is ERW tubing that has been Drawn Over a Mandral (hence DOM) :)

DOM will work great, but it's not really necessary for our type of use. If you were doing 200 miles per hour and slammed into the wall, I'd like to know there were no thin spots in my cage, but flopping over on a trail it's not going to matter.

There is always going to be arguments for using pipe for a cage, and yes, if you make it out of 1/4 wall and weld it properly, it will be plenty strong. But pipe in the thickness you state will be ridiculously heavy, and it doesn't matter if you have 1000 hp, you don't want all that weight. Trust me.

People use pipe because it's cheap and you can buy a PIPE bender for a couple hundred dollars. The pros use Tube because it's the proper tool for the job.

Some people even build driveshafts out of square stock. :)

Build your cage out of ERW tubing.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you will have to forgive me ,my learning curve must be flat right now,but it's right before the big swoop!

so i am using regular pipe, heavy really thick,

i should use this stuff that is 120 wall,

is it just thinner pipe?

will my pipe bender bend it?( pipe dies)

where do i get it?

could i just look for thinner regular pipe?

where would i get a tube bender?how much would i pay for a good one?

or should i just make my heavy pipe cage,then take it out and have one made out of the thin tube just like the heavy one?

if anyone could answer half of these i would buy them a beer,

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
120 wall is .120". It's a big 1/8th wall.
Its not pipe at all, its tubing.
A pipe bender would probably kink the sh!t outof it. Pipe is measured by I.D., tubing is measured by O.D.
You should be able to get it at any metal supply shop, if they don't have it, they will know where to get it. Try fab shops, they should be able to give you some direction in your area.
Pipe goes by schedule. Sched 80 is equal to 1/4" wall (not 100% sure), sched 40 is smaller wall.
Eg. 2" sched 80 pipe would be 2 1/2" O.D. (2" I.D. = 2 wall thicknesses-1/4"+1/4")
not sure where to get a tube bender but they are a lil pricey.
Build a pipe one, then get it coppied outa tube?? Man I wish I had your time & energy:D . Prob. cheaper in the long run to just get it made outa tube the first time.
I'm 100% on all of this, but in goin for the beer:D

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well you see,,,
i have already bent all my pieces for this cage outa pipe,
i just have to get a scrap bronc for a jig to put all the tacks in place,then weld it all up,

may be a waist of time ,money,and beer,but o well what the hell,

fun just monkeyin' around with it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts