BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to roll back an odometer :finger_1: Grab your attention yet?

I have a Landcruiser with 300K and a broken speedometer. The PO was convinced its the instrument, so he bought a used cluster from someone (presumably with a working speedo), but the truck it came off had like 580,000km or something (hey, its a Toyota, get over it). I'd like my odo to display the correct mileage, so can I get a regular shop to roll that one back if I show them the broken odo in my truck, or do I have to head to New West to find an "odometer expert" one of the used car dealers. I'd not to offend anyone at a shop by asking if they "roll back odometers for a small fee".

Email me if you have "other suggestions", that info probably shouldn't be floating around BC4x4.

I have a APV9T (Transfer form you fill out when you buy a vehicle) from last week that shows the mileage in case the shop needs to document something.

·
Registered
129 Posts
its illegal to do period for what ever reason... What you would do is replace the odometer, note the milage of the old one and then report the cluster change and note the milage of it...

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
a toyota dealer should be able to do it. they might only want to do it if they sell you a new odo though.

a pencil with a white eraser works pretty good too.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its illegal to do period for what ever reason... What you would do is replace the odometer, note the milage of the old one and then report the cluster change and note the milage of it...
I'd be no farther ahead in my goal of an accurate odometer :S

·
Registered
21 Posts
there is no way to know how long he drove it without it working so you never know maybe your car does already have 500+ k's, either way your numbers will be off

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
Just do it yourself. I recently had to put a new speedo in the T-Bird, and being as anal as I am, had to have the odometer reading the same. I just pulled the odometer, matched my old mileage, and put her all back together. If the law wants to talk to me, you can reach me at itsmycarsomindyourownbusiness at telus dot net. :clown

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I honestly don't think any buyer would care less about the milage of a 23 year old Landcruiser anyways- its rust and neglect that kills these trucks, not mileage. Its only for my purposes that I'm setting the mileage correctly. I'm kind of nutty like that.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
its surprisingly easy to do, im sure you can figure it out if you try.
when i did my 1jz swap into my supra i reset mine to 0. im never selling the car,and if I did it wouldnt go to just anybody they would have to listen to me talk about the swap forever, then fill out an application. im sure the law would love to see me punished for my crimes against humanity as rapists, thieves, murderers, crack dealers and the like continue about their business as usuall. as far as im concerned it became a new car when i did all that work on it.
the law is just plain ignorant.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
rolling back the odo isn't a big deal if you get caught if you're just an average guy selling a car every now and then.

car dealers lose their dealer's license if they get caught because the ARA is all over that.

rolling back the odometer is like growing pot. people get caught all the time but only the major distributors get charged.

if you roll back an odometer and sell it to someone else claiming that's the mileage then that person can take you to small claims court IF it can be proven. they can sue you for the money they have lost over the cost of a vehicle that hasn't had it's odometer rolled. in your case it should work out to a difference of $20.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
dude why don't you just get an odometer with less miles than yours, and ramp it up to match?

Last time i replaced the odo cable, it looked as simple as hooking up a drill to the end and spinning the bastard up to whatever KM you want .... Bronco Boy's suggestion also works :D

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
I've changed them before to match. Its not real easy in my opinion, theres a lot of little pieces in there that all have to go in the right place.

·
Registered
8,058 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rolling back the odo isn't a big deal if you get caught if you're just an average guy selling a car every now and then.

car dealers lose their dealer's license if they get caught because the ARA is all over that.

rolling back the odometer is like growing pot. people get caught all the time but only the major distributors get charged.

if you roll back an odometer and sell it to someone else claiming that's the mileage then that person can take you to small claims court IF it can be proven. they can sue you for the money they have lost over the cost of a vehicle that hasn't had it's odometer rolled. in your case it should work out to a difference of $20.
OK, but just to be clear, I'm not selling the truck and I can prove the mileage when I bought it a couple days ago. For the record.

·
Registered
208 Posts
i don`t think you can some manufactures have mad them a one-way kind of thing your best bet it to buy a new one and spin it up to match your`s

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We'll find out, a new one from Toyota is probably waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of my price range. I think i'll just suck it up and live with a sticker if I can't work a little black magic on the replacement I have.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I rolled back the odometer on my vintage race motorcycle when I put it on the street. All the autoplan guy said when he check the serial number to insure it was wow an 1972 with only 10 miles! We are talking a very raced vintage bike.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
It takes a lot longer than you might think. Thus why I bailed and took it apart. :laugh
Yep, it's not a fast way to do it. I used to do it when I was a teenager and was grounded while my parents were out of town. Drive around while they're gone, and then rollback the odo before they get home.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

1 - 20 of 24 Posts