BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
depends on tire size really. We usually install metal for 3/4 wheels and tire packages, but i like to use them on my own rims just because they can hold a higher pressure.

------------------
Project MudhuckerII is now underway and movin ahead

·
Registered
802 Posts
How high of a pressure do you need? 30-35 on the street, 5-20 on the trail. I like rubber because they'll flex when tweaked by a rock, where metal will break. Somebody once told me that metal ones are more prone to leakage than rubber; I can't remember who it was or how true that is, but I did have a leaky metal one that you had to fiddle with a bit and tighten the cap to stop it from leaking. Metal does look nice on mall runners though.

------------------
Greg Sue
85 Toyota X-cab
http://media-north.com/4wd/

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Stubby rubber so they don't tear off.

You can get metal stems that only stick out 1/4" or so. Pretty trick.

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

·
Registered
193 Posts
yeah metal ones do leak. You have to regularly tighten them. As far as pressure is concerned I don't see why you need to run your tires at 90 psi. It's also real easy to catch a metal one on a rock and either rip it out or smack it in and bust it. Rubber valve stems will actually bend when hit, but metal ones just go shooting straight back into the tire.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Rubber is the offraod choice in my books...you could go with a stubby metal style stem but then you should move it towards the center flange on the wheels to keep it protected from rocks and trees...

------------------
Shopping List...
1x 15x8 5on5.5 BCD Wheel for spare...28 spline output shaft for NP435!
[email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts