BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am repairing a 85 toyota pu that has the typical rusty inside frame located under the rear leaf springs.I was wondering if anyone has done this type of repair?How heavy a thickness a plate should be used?

·
Registered
32 Posts
well yes, I have done this as well. I used 1/8" thick flat bar, I thought at first that it would be to light, but it is the same as the rest of the frame and because it is a box frame it is strong enough with that thinkness. Hope this helps. Stink'n frames!

------------------
Hey! If it's broke put more money into it, it may not have worked last time, but it should now!

·
Registered
32 Posts
well yes, I have done this as well. I used 1/8" thick flat bar, I thought at first that it would be to light, but it is the same as the rest of the frame and because it is a box frame it is strong enough with that thinkness. Hope this helps. Stink'n frames!

------------------
Hey! If it's broke put more money into it, it may not have worked last time, but it should now!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Originally posted by Dan Leusca:

I dont know how bad your frame is, but if its just rusted on the back and not the bottom heres something i thought of 1 day.Go to the wrecker and find a frame in half decent shape, & have them cut that section out.Cut everything off,leaving just the good outer parts of the framerails (the part of the frame you would see from the side of the truck). Now cut the crappy rusted section from the inside of your frame, making the hole big enough to ram a vacuum cleaner hose up the rail to remove the loose rust. Spray Rust Check or Rust Mort in the frame in an attempt to get a few more years out of it. Now take the good sections of frame that you kept and do this: weld the piece that was on the left side of the donor frame & weld it to the inside of your right frame rail. Do the opposite for the other side.Thats it! Be sure not to rush this project because its a good idea to try and clean and preserve the inside of the frame while its open. Dont pour oil and stuff in your frame as it only collects dust and dirt making things worse.Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
On my truck I had the frame chopped in half from the back of the cab and a good back half welded on, just a thaught it's what 4offroad does but a lot cheaper.

------------------
Sold 85 Toyota extra cab 4x4 2" lift 33" BFG M/T with lots of tire rub!
Wanted 84/85 4runner, needed a few more seats less rust, and a beter FRAME.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts