BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
easiest way to put a small suspension lift in a sami. my friends got one and she needs new tires but she want to know how mucha lift is first. i know adda leafs are easy and fairly cheap but the steering stuff up front do u a have mess around with it for a small lift

·
Registered
119 Posts
a spring over is not the best lift goof. it is good if done with the right amount of money but breeze is very biased cause they sell them. breeze makes great stuff but a small lift is not 5 inches. add a leafs are only good if the original springs are still ok but the ride could get very stiff (stiffer). cheapest way is longer shackels and small body lift and 30 inch tires. that will get her on any club run around here and she can still follow the big rigs if you get a locker. You do not have to spend a fortune to run most trails in a samurai as the ifs toyota boys tend to grade most of the trails smooth around here.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so shackles sounds like the way to go anybody know an apoximent price i think she more wants it for show than anything.

·
Registered
119 Posts
longer shackels are good only if you stay at about 2 inches longer than stock. if they are too long you get stability problems and they will hang too low on the front and bang into rocks and stuff.i have the confer brand which are the most expensive but good quality. basically what i do now is use them as a template to make my own. you can buy the steel cut to size at metal supermarkets real cheap then the hard part(if you don't have a drill press) is drilling the big holes then get them welded together with a center section for strength. remember they only lift half of the extra lenght ie. 2" longer = 1" lift. check out the board sponsors if you want store bought ones.

·
Registered
261 Posts
spoa is the best way to lift a samurai if you plan on running a tire upto 33 inches, there are good quality YJ spring kits on the market that perform real well.
Breeze industries are a bunch of good guys , they sell good quality sh1t at great prices.
5 inches of lift is a small lift for a samurai, they are equivilant to a chevy sprint stock!
I say go for breezes setup , and talk to randy , he'll fill you in on anything you need to know.

·
Registered
90 Posts
BODY LIFT IN A SAMURAI, YOU JUST ASKING TO ROLL IT!

BODY LIFTS ARE GAY, DONT DO THEM

·
Registered
183 Posts
I gotta agree,

The body lift is kinda like the skier that has the brand new $1500 skies and the $2000 one peice Skisuite with $200 Oakley googles but still carries his skis and poles in his arms all crossed up struggling not to yard sale them as he makes his way to the lift line, only to get to the top of the hill and have the sweetest lookin Tuck'n SlowPlow with the flag pole skipoles stickin straight up in the air from between his arms, as he struggles to get that extra 2 mph but then realizes that he is scared and tries to stop but can't stop and screams like a baby all the way to the bottom totally out of control he barrels past the slow signs and takes out half the lift line only to get up trying to act cool and swearing at the people he just ran over blaming them for getting in the way and cutting him off. (Come on you know who you are)

Um.....ok it's not quite that bad but you get my point. Body lifts are just for show, they make the truck look good(that is untill someone realizes it's just a body lift, and shakes his head saying"what a waste") But other than that, well there isn't anything other than that.

Oh ya you can put bigger tires on it and make it more unstable and easier to flip. Sweet thats cool.

Ok I will shut up now, I just had some time to kill, I'm done.

PS Don't kill the messenger

-Flyboy:D

·
Registered
296 Posts
I gotta disagree with that A body lift alone used just for looks and to fit bigger tires is gay. But if it is combined with a proper suspension lift it does have some benefits. It gets the body away from directly against the frame where corrosion can run rapid at the mounts,:this also allows for easier cleaning of mud grime etc.Much easier to get in there with a hose spray all the **** off, like on top of the gas tank. it also makes it a little easier when doing mechancal maintenance. More height to work under .

·
Registered
119 Posts
ok this was a girl who wanted new tires and a little lift to make her truck look cooler. i bought my sami in 1988 and drove it stock with 205 tires to starvation lake. clear creek and hut lake all in 1988 . i have had 1 inch shackels and 235s, then added 3 inch lift and 31s, then 2 inch body now sitting at 6 inches and 33s. i do not have axel wrap. my tires do not hit and it will out corner any spoa lift. i also owned a spoa sami with 31s and it sucked. once you go over 4 inches anything less than 31s looks stupid and then you need gears or a motor swap. the question was how to get a little lift .not how to re-engineer her complete suspension. a body lift up to 2 inches is great for samis and yjs cause you don't have to change the driveline angles. yes 5 inches is alot of lift for a short wheelbase(not for a fullsize). ive heard and met randy from breeze and hes cool but id rather have a truck i can drive on the road not on a ramp! have you ever seen that ramp champ of reo's take a corner. no thanks. when 4x4ing became a competition is when i stopped wanting to wheel with rigs whose owners get a woody over a suspension. give me a old cj with 4 inch lift and 33s and i will run any trail your tricked out ramp queen will run. ok i may stack a few rocks or winch a bit but thats how it all started. i never go out to show off my flex or wait in line for 20 trucks to move a hundred yards. i go wheeling to get to the end of the trail so i can camp not turn around half way cause its getting late and its gonna be 2 hours till i get to move that hundred yards. no i'm not bitter just experienced.:D

·
Registered
119 Posts
goof, flyboy,and zukipowahd how long you been wheelin'?

you will roll a spring over way before a 2 inch bodylift.

·
Registered
431 Posts
birddog said:
ok this was a girl who wanted new tires and a little lift to make her truck look cooler. i bought my sami in 1988 and drove it stock with 205 tires to starvation lake. clear creek and hut lake all in 1988 . i have had 1 inch shackels and 235s, then added 3 inch lift and 31s, then 2 inch body now sitting at 6 inches and 33s. i do not have axel wrap. my tires do not hit and it will out corner any spoa lift. i also owned a spoa sami with 31s and it sucked. once you go over 4 inches anything less than 31s looks stupid and then you need gears or a motor swap. the question was how to get a little lift .not how to re-engineer her complete suspension. a body lift up to 2 inches is great for samis and yjs cause you don't have to change the driveline angles. yes 5 inches is alot of lift for a short wheelbase(not for a fullsize). ive heard and met randy from breeze and hes cool but id rather have a truck i can drive on the road not on a ramp! have you ever seen that ramp champ of reo's take a corner. no thanks. when 4x4ing became a competition is when i stopped wanting to wheel with rigs whose owners get a woody over a suspension. give me a old cj with 4 inch lift and 33s and i will run any trail your tricked out ramp queen will run. ok i may stack a few rocks or winch a bit but thats how it all started. i never go out to show off my flex or wait in line for 20 trucks to move a hundred yards. i go wheeling to get to the end of the trail so i can camp not turn around half way cause its getting late and its gonna be 2 hours till i get to move that hundred yards. no i'm not bitter just experienced.:D
I just felt like quoting that whole long message :D

Basically, Birddog's right... if it's more show than go then shackles and a body lift (although I think body lifts are much more difficult to do than people make them out to be). With this lift she will also maintain her stock ride quality which is also pretty important to do.

For those of you pushing a SPOA... have you ever done one... and done it right? I mean right where it is totally free of problems and binding and is operating well on and off road while offering near stock ride quality. This is a girl who just wants to add some looks to her Sami by lifting it. SPOA is the WRONG choice for her.

David

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
this girl dosent just want to add looks to her sami shes taken the thing offroad as it is. but she about to get new tires so she figures why not put a bit of a lift in the thing to and then she can fit a little bit bigger tires and she dosent want a bodylift.

·
Registered
261 Posts
DO SPOA , your ride quality will be way better than shackles and a body lift! when you do a body lift , both shifters will sink into the floor , you'll have to change your fuel filler hose and worry bout those little brake hoses, plus it will look like crap with those big gaps between the bumpers and body and frame and body , and good luck getting those rusted mount bolts out.
Ive done 4 Spoa and all have turned out great.
Even ask shogunator / Dave (the human suzuki bible) he'll most likely say the same thing.
Go ask Randy at www.breezeindustries.com he will tell you the right way to do a spoa.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
birddog said:
goof, flyboy,and zukipowahd how long you been wheelin'?

you will roll a spring over way before a 2 inch bodylift.
That's a pretty retarded comparison. A body lift is 2", and spring over is around 5". A 2" SPOA (if it existed) would be more stable than a 2" body lift.

A spring over is HANDS DOWN better than a body lift off-road. Even for tipping. It will flex around an obsticle instead of leaning and falling over.

small spoa with wide tires and your set to go.

·
Registered
259 Posts
i do beleive that there are hi and low perch heights available im spoa lifts if she wants to keep it low go for the low perch if she wants more lift go with the hi perch. as for spring under lifts ( i just pulled mine out of my samurai) the may handle well on the street but for goodness sakes its samuria its not meant for slalom. any way hope she has fun whichever route she chooses

:beer :beer :beer

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Goof said:

That's a pretty retarded comparison. A body lift is 2", and spring over is around 5". A 2" SPOA (if it existed) would be more stable than a 2" body lift.

A spring over is HANDS DOWN better than a body lift off-road. Even for tipping. It will flex around an obsticle instead of leaning and falling over.

small spoa with wide tires and your set to go.
I think birddogs point is that a springover moves a lot more weight up in the air, creating a higher center of gravity and increasing the likelihood of rollover. Body lifts only lift the body, which tends to be a lot lighter than the engine + the body + tranny + tcase + you get the point.

Have you even got an offroad capable vehicle yet, Goof? :confused2

·
Registered
296 Posts
and it will out corner any spoa lift.

There's something to strive for in a Zuki.

2 inch SPOA = stuff some Loonies between your springs:laugh :clown

1 - 20 of 31 Posts