BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the recipe for a motor conversion from Samurai 1.3L to Sidekick 1.6L

What are the best options for this? How toes and so on.

Thanks

------------------
Big Frank

·
Registered
353 Posts
I think iZook and Offroad.com both have write-ups on this swap. Maybe even Rocky-Road. You can get away with weldng tabs on the Sam tranny and using an adapter plate (I have one if you want to go this route) and the right motor mount needs to be moved back and down (although I have heard with a 'Kick/Sam combo mount you can get away without it). Other than that your 1.3 intake/carb bolts onto the 8 valve 1.6 for sure (not certain about the 16V).
You will need a longblock with the starter, alternator, ring gear (I think, it's been a while) and the mounts.
If you want to use the TBI you will need to modify your wiring harness or purchase one. Try to avoid the pre '91 TBI engine since it's not as hardy. If you plan on going TBI get the wire harness, computer and all other associated parts from the donor car.
If you wheel on rocks and mud keep the exhaust the stock size but if you want more highway performance at the cost of torque you can go to 2 inch pipes.
Good luck.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I just read my post and wanted to say that the '89 and '90 1.6 engines are fine it's the Generation I fuel injection system that is weak. You can tell the difference because the generation I still uses the coil whereas the Generation II ('91 and up) uses the module.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just finished the swap on my '92 Sami (EFI). After a lot of research (izook, calmini , rocky-road...) not one site did an adequate job of described the intricate details of the swap. In fact no one has anything posted regarding the swap for EFI. Very frustrating.........but it's now done! yipee

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh well, thanks for all the help.

I guess I will just have to put in the small block after all.

------------------
Big Frank

·
Registered
2 Posts
Contact Brent at Trail Tough in Medford, OR.
You can find him on the Web. Search for Trail Tough. His phone number is 541-734-0883. He is a good guy, and will help you all he can. He has done (no bull) hundreds of Zuk 1.3 to 1.6 conversions. It is almost less expensive to have him do it, than to buy the parts!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts