BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm interested in acquiring a Samurai, does anyone know of (web) sources that describe the model year history of the Samurai.

I've already looked at off-road.com, Haynes manual and buyers guides which indicate Samurais from 1986-1995 for US. EFI models only from 1990-1995. Are these true specifically for Canada, too?

What are problems areas prone to Samurais to look out for?

Thanks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The specs for the 86 - 95 should be pretty much the same for US and Canadian Sami's.

The difference you'll find is that we got 85's here in Canada and they don't in the US.

85 compared to 86+:
- t-case mounted ebrake
- 3.92 gears rather than 3.7
- folddown windshield
- inboard springs
- 3 inch narrower axles

Things to look out for:
- rust in the rear wheelwells, especially if carpeted
- bent axle housings
- plus the usual things you'd look at when buying a used vehicle. Things like good compression, aircared, oil leaks, brakes, tires, etc, etc.

HTH,
Robin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Robin,

Thanks for the comments. I found another FAQ through your web site at izook.com.

In my casual browsing of ads, I have yet to see a Samurai that is newer than 1991. I spoke to some Samurai guys on the trail and coincidently they thought the last year was also 1991. Can anyone confirm the model history in Canada?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Originally posted by TLG:
Robin,

Thanks for the comments. I found another FAQ through your web site at izook.com.

In my casual browsing of ads, I have yet to see a Samurai that is newer than 1991. I spoke to some Samurai guys on the trail and coincidently they thought the last year was also 1991. Can anyone confirm the model history in Canada?
See mine - it's a '92. The latest ever officially sold in North America was '95.

Samurai's (or their direct descendants :)are still manufactured by Suzuki and sold all over the world....still riding on li'l solid axles and with variety of engines - including (gasp!!) diesel.
Darned.

------------------
-marker

1 - 4 of 4 Posts