BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
k, i really want to do an SAS to my runner. but all my freinds say the the ifs is so much nicer and that the handling will be poo after i get the live axil in there. also what are some of the ups and downs of the IFS/SAS options?

any help or advice would be apprectiated, thanx

------------------
Currently building up my 1990 4runner / 33"x12"s 3" body lift 9000LB warn ready to bolt on, and looking for suspention lift...?anybody?

·
Registered
193 Posts
don't take this the wrong way but...when it comes to this sort of stuff, you have some very un-intelligent friends. The solid axel offers a fine on-road ride. With flexy springs it is like riding in a lifted caddy. Off-road you will soil your pants the first time you try it. 15 inches of wheel travel puts you on a whole new planet and is un-comparable to 2 and a half inches.

Your friends are going to be very,very jealous if you do swpa.

Oh ya, everyhting is WAY stronger and simpler and easier to fix.....but not cheaper. However, if you want to look at it as how much you will be breaking stuff, then you will be breaking much less with the solid axel so it will be cheaper that way.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by johnyfive70:
also what are some of the ups and downs of the IFS/SAS options?
Pros:
- more suspension travel ~ more traction
- more reliability
- eliminate the idler arm which always needs replacement
- fewer steering linkage components, easier and cheaper to maintain

Cons:
- handling/ride isn't as good as IFS, particularly at faster speeds
- reduced static ground clearance between front wheels

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

·
1,269 Posts
Not that you guys don't make valid points.. BUT:

1) I never broke an idler arm in a whole year of abusing my IFS. I never broke any parts related to the IFS in fact save for a CV boot. (just the boot)

2) Birfields are very prone to breakage.

3) If you do a SAS and put in really soft springs it will ride very soft and nice in a straight line but going around corners at a third of the speed you used to be able to wears on some people after a while.

That being said, I'd do it. Hell, I am doing it!

------------------
"You bobbed it how many inches? NINETEEN?!?! Oh my..."

·
Registered
544 Posts
my truck now leans less with my shocks only on setting 2.the IFS could take corners faster but actually leaned way more(thats with no sway bar and home made soft rear springs)
with the springs I have and the shocks on setting 1 if you slam on the brakes the front dives down the the ass lifts way up,but I kind of like that feeling

probally the single most notisible thing is there are no weird noises,its nice a quiet(except for the tires)my bent and crooked IFS lift made tons of noises

also from a quick befor/after offroad jaunt.I could go farther with SAS with open diffs then I could with the IFS and spooled front.

------------------
Its done.44044's,chevy's,9012's,36 swampers.and it still fits in the garage!

·
1,269 Posts
Originally posted by Doug:
Hey Pete, wait after wheeling for 3 or 4 or 5 years with IFS no stop like you did for that year.
That's a good point it probably would have broken something eventually. I do have friends that have wheeled their IFS for a few years and the only things they seem to break are CV joints and idler arms.

And Longfields aren't prone to breakage....yet.
I was comparing stock birfs to stock IFS. Longfields are another $400 plus core, but you are right no one has broken one yet. How many people have broken Porsche CV axles? How many people have broken Rockstomper's 9" IFS diff replacement?

------------------

G

·
It really depends on what type of wheeling you do. IFS is fine for most wheeling duties with one exception and thats rock crawling. If you are exploring back roads and the odd mild trail, the IFS front end is up to the task.

SAS are expensive, no doubt. If you want to wheel your truck on the rocks and keep on coming back for more, it is well worth it.

------------------
88, Stock IFS, and I like it

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
heres the thing, i like the ride of the ifs. but i want put a 4" suspention lift in it. new ones are not cheep and secondhand are hard to come by. i dont do that much technical off roading yet, but i think it would be around the same price for the both of them. ex
new ifs lift installed: 2206.95
complete home made and done myself: <2000>roughly

(i think i will be collecting axil parts prety soon)

------------------
Currently building up my 1990 4runner / 33"x12"s 3" body lift 9000LB warn ready to bolt on, and looking for suspention lift...?anybody?

·
1,269 Posts
It's always a good idea to take your original budget for a SAS and double it. That's for sure.

------------------

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmmm, thats a good point i geuse. but how much more is it going ot cost than two grand? if i do the most part by myself then i just need the parts and a guy to come and weld the hangers in right? im thinking 500-600 bucks on misc. and stuff, or is it really going to cost me an arm and a leg?
thanx John

------------------

·
Registered
389 Posts
well it also depends on if you are going to have a trailer queen truck too,if your gonna have it ,go buy a ford ,cuz they cant do any thing.but if your gonna use the truck for what your gonna basicly build it for,then do it,its well worth it,a toy will do more then waht any domestic truck will,when it comes to 4x4ing due to its size,but,its not hard at all
time consuming thats all,and if you can find the axel for cheep, thats in good shape.and basicly rebuilt or so, do it
and for trucks about cornering at high speeds,
who the hell is driving like an ass at a fast speed ,there not a sprts car,you have a 4x4 for diggin

------------------
"4x4s eat MORE BUSH!!!"

·
1,269 Posts
Originally posted by johnyfive70:
hmmm, thats a good point i geuse. but how much more is it going ot cost than two grand? if i do the most part by myself then i just need the parts and a guy to come and weld the hangers in right? im thinking 500-600 bucks on misc. and stuff, or is it really going to cost me an arm and a leg?
thanx John
I'm into mine for over $2000 and I got smokin' deals on most of my stuff. Oh and it's not done yet either.

------------------

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yah but did you bye most of the stuff new? cause i will probably be able to fing alot of stuff second hand. but i dont want ot cheep out on stuff you know?

------------------

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I have to disagree with bravenight on this one.
Early broncos from 76-77 and 77-79 full size fords are one of my favorite trucks.
How can you say a C6 or NP435 coupled to a NP205 with a 9 inch out back and a dana 44 up front isn't capable or durable?
And the eb's drivetrain is just as durable.
I'll give credit where it's due, those fords are tuff durable trucks, and plenty capable.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, 1 inch body lift, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, SM420, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, dual batteries....you get the idea.

G

·
SAS are expensive, no doubt. It all depends on the type of wheeling that you do. I believe Pete found the limits of his IFS when wheeling and is now taking an evolutionary step towards a true off road truck.

If you have no plans to do serious wheeling, then I would say keep the IFS. If you want to rock crawl and tackle terrain that needs good suspension flex, do the SAS

------------------
88, Stock IFS, and I like it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.