BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the front axle out of a scout is a d44? corrrect? The one I have is out of a 63 (drum). My question is that I want to put disc on it with a 6 bolt pattern. Is this posible?

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Yup, you'll just have to mix n match some Chevy parts with it.

If you want high steer, you might as well use GM flat top knuckles. Then the outers can be all GM. Plus you'll need the GM outer axle shafts, of course.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
A D44 from 63? I thought they were still using the D30 back then. The D44 was an early 70s introduction as I recall.

Wes

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wes Rempel said:
A D44 from 63? I thought they were still using the D30 back then. The D44 was an early 70s introduction as I recall.

Wes
That's right. The front Scout D44 showed up sometime in the early mid 70's (like 74 or something), and they all came with disk too.

--Rob

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot to answer the first part. The other guys are right, you probably have a D30. '63 is way too early for the D44.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
does anyone have a scout d44 with a 6 bolt pattern for sale?

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Dan Martz said:
does anyone have a scout d44 with a 6 bolt pattern for sale?
No Scout will have a 6-bolt pattern. Some of the full-size IH trucks might, though. But they might also have drums as well...but then they'll be too wide for your application (I'm assuming you want something closer to 'Cruiser-width).

I think finding a Scout axle and then bolting on some Chevy outers (will be 6- or 8-bolt) would be more feasible...but then I'm not an expert on IH parts. Finding the flat top knuckles on IH D44s is pretty rare (I was lucky enough to find a set). It's also tough finding GM flat tops (passenger side) but much easier than finding IH flat tops. Besides, GM stuff is quite cheap plus the calipers are supposed to work better than the Scout/Ford style.

Of course, if you're looking for a Scout D44 that has been modified to a 6-bolt pattern, then ignore this post. :D

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I've got a front 44 out of an EB and it's a 6 bolt, I need to convert it to 5 on 5.5 so I might be able to give you the 6 bolt parts I remove.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya lars, Thats exactly what I want. I also need the offset on the passenger side.

Baby joe what do you want for all your outers?

BTW this is going on a scout not my cruiser;)

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
i have a narrowed full size chev d44 that is the same size as a scout. it comes with 6 bolt hubs and spindles too. you will just need shafts (stock shafts) and the other little things

andrew
908-4832

4.10 gears too

1 - 11 of 11 Posts