BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Way too many rigs getting ripped off!

Are there any problems I'll encounter when finding security alarms for my 88 YJ? Any hints or recommendations? I think we ruled out razor blades.

Also, how $much$ am I looking to spend and where?

·
Registered
327 Posts
If you are wanting to prevent theft via hotwire, About 20 -30 bucks. If you want to prevent break in good luck...

Now for 20-30 bucks this is what I would do. Splice your hot fuel pump wire to a seperate switch, hide that switch good. and you are done if you want even more security you can do the same on the ignition. DO NOT hide the switches together.

Have fun

·
Registered
463 Posts
Definitely a good idea. And cheap too! I put a kill switch on my coil wire and have it wired up to one of those flashing lights so I know if the kill switch is on and also as a deterrent.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:( Hrmm... "Figure $400 - $500 for a decent system installed."? It seems kind of steep. I guess I had my expectations set a little too high.

You have to remember that this is an 88, so I doubt there's anything a shop can install that I couldn't. I've never dealt with an alarm system before, but what's involved? an rf receiver, the system itself, a big focking horn, and a few vibration sensors?
I've looked through a few on the web and it looks like they all 'plug in' to your wiring harness somehow. his would definately not work in mine as the term 'wiring harness' doesn't even apply anymore. If you've taken a look at any wiring of my jeep, you'd understand.

Panthino: As far as a kill switch goes, maybe if you have an extra night you wouldn't mind helping me with the wiring?

It sounds kind of dumb to be asking you guys this, but what are good mounting areas for the actual switch? Email me if you have ideas.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Wiring is simple. I'm off this weekend so send me an email and we'll figure a time.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
after mine got broken into for the 4 or 5th time i finally got my ass in gear and took it to a shop and i got a alarm/install for 200 bucks. It came with a shock sensor and door pins. Good enough for now but i will be upgrading to a montion sensor (mirowave sensor). Damn soft top !

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Brent, do you know which system they put in your rig? $200 sounds good and heck, I'll even let them put it in for that price. Which shops are good for this, or can anyone/shop install a system they carry? I'm thinking its easy, but I've allways lived in the boonies where break-ins are almost unheard of. Whistler's a little different with all these drunk punks running around. (Me included)

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
my alarm is called a marksman M3. I bought it at beamriders and also got it installed there. Also i forgot to add that is also came with a imobolizer.

If u dont have a beamriders up there just look in your local fliyers shops always have little specials like that for around 200 bucks

·
Registered
185 Posts
i got the alarm for my sami because of the soft top and it wound up costing me about 300, installed. http://www.beamriders.com

it has the shock sensor and the proximity sensor for when i have the soft top off.... it works great

·
Registered
33 Posts
alarm/starter system

Saw ya looking for an alarm system... I've got an Auto Command Remote Starter/Alarm system I will let go for cheap. Its brand new never been installed. warrent papers and everything included.
You find me a couple of 135 watt H3 bulbs and we can start to horse trade cuz its always more fun that way.
I have another remote starter system too but theres no alarm capabilities with that system.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
4x4fan said:
i got the alarm for my sami because of the soft top and it wound up costing me about 300, installed. http://www.beamriders.com

it has the shock sensor and the proximity sensor for when i have the soft top off.... it works great

The alarm on special is the one i got

·
Registered
41 Posts
A basic alarm with glass and 2 door pin is easy to install. couple drill holes run some wire and set the remote andyour done. hour at the most. But o tell yu the truth just get a flashing red lightand a club. they will just keep walking and find something else to steal.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Brent said:
my alarm is called a marksman M3. I bought it at beamriders and also got it installed there. Also i forgot to add that is also came with a imobolizer.

If u dont have a beamriders up there just look in your local fliyers shops always have little specials like that for around 200 bucks
beamriders? fliyers? wtf? you DO know I'm in Whistler, right? I'm lucky we have a Lordco shop.

I checked out the beamriders website. I HATE flash. $189 installed looks good. Hopefully with Panthino's help, the YJ will have a crapload of kill switches. I can't wait. It will be like flying a jet.

I'm still interested in an alarm though. a flashing light will NOT do. I want to catch any numbnuts that try and rip me off.

Does anyone have any ideas on an automatic flare gun that will shoot flares if a window is smashed/door opened? I'm thinking of using the electric ignitors from a model rocket.

(does anyone have a link to any middle-east security systems? The kind equiped with tear gas/machete blades/shotguns?)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Depending on how much you have invested in your Jeep already, you may want a better alarm. I have a compustar on my TJ with a built in remote start on my 5spd, and a 1/4 mile pager.
One thing to always rember is that if someone really wants your vehicle they will get it no matter what you have protecting it. But if a normal joe blow tries to jack my jeep or anything in it, my pager/remote goes off. There's isn't much point on spending a lot on alarm if you don't even know it's going off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts