BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm obviously new to the board. I was wondering if it is a problem to buy trucks from the USA and import them to Canada? Also, is it a problem to do the opposite? I do have a Toyota I need to sell, but I was just curious about importing an FJ style cruiser as well.

Thanks, ROB

·
Registered
229 Posts
My advice is DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT! Apparently it is really expensive to import anything newer then 15 years old. After you pay a bunch for them to tell you what you have to change, you have to pay a bunch more to rewire, etc. Then you have to pay duty and I think GST and PST as well. If it is older then 15 years old it is apparently much easier but I dont know the details. My mom looked into importing a aerostar last year and it was going to cost her more just to get it into Canada then the van was actually worth!

If you find out otherwise please let me know as I would love to import a shinny, non cancerous SoCal truck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
im not to sure about prices on import or gst and all the other crap. but i do know that even before you import the car you have to go over to us customs with the transfer and deed of the truck and have them abrove it first. it takes about 72 hours. they check to make sure it not stollen or things like that. thjen you go with the paper they give you to the canadian side and import it.

------------------
"power is the ultimate aphrodisiac"

·
Registered
296 Posts
I imported my 80 Bronco less than a year ago and all I needed was a "Certificate of Title", temp insurance to get it here on the Canadian side (you will also need temp insurance in whatever state your in in the US if you drive it back), “bill of sale”, and then pay the GST at the boarder on whatever you paid for it. I think that was it. Its always good to have a chat with one of the Canadian customs guys before you go down to make sure you got everything to bring the vehicle back.

If its less than 15 years old you will have to pay extra duties on it at the boarder, and if its newer than 1991 it will have to have daytime running lights installed if it doesn’t, along with a speedo that’s in KMs and than a Federal and Provincial inspection. This all has to be done before you can insure the vehicle with-in 45 days or it has to go back to the states.

I have no idea about importing Canada to the US.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
If you want to reduce duties, dismantle the vehicle where you buy it from and ship accross on a truck...this will devalue the vehicle and therefor you pay less duties. That is what I have heard any ways, I don't know how true that is though

------------------
Shopping List...
15"x8" wheels 5x5.5" BCD
[email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.