BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I need some input BAD!! Any ideas, tips, hints...etc.

I tries to pull my axles out the yesterday so I could replace the bearings. NOPE NO LUCK! Those suckers aren't going anywhere. And yes everything is unbolted.

First I tried, Turing the drum inside out and taping it with a hammer. Then I rented a slide hammer. Then I started talking to this guy who works at a local garage and he lent me his slide hammer creation which consisted of a F-250 Rotor as the hammer part(about 30 lbs). Still not a budge. Does anyone have any more ideas that I can do to pry those lil biznatches outta there.

Thx

-Flyboy

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh ya by the way, I have an 86 Sammi, with a locker in the rear. Not that I think that really matter.

oh and its the rear axles.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just use a old brake drum , bolt a old rim to that and hit it with a maul. Make sure you have supported well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I agree with you, a slide hammer is the way to go ,but this worked great for on a friday night at 11 pm when you need to get going. see ya around.

·
Registered
134 Posts
OK, since I too went through your current Hell, I'll let you in on how I did it. I tried the reversed drum, slide hammer, Sledge and long pry bar (don't ask). I tried heating the tube while cooling the outer race, which by the way is why you can't get those suckers out. The outer race has basically welded itself to the axle tube. To get the axle out get a piece of redi rod, thread a nut onto it and position it in behind the axle plate and the spring pack. (I used a piece of plate steel as a backer) turn the nut so that it pushes the redi rod against the axle plate and eventually it will blow the inner race and the internals of the bearing out. Now to get the outer race out I heated it up quickly with an oxy- acetylene torch to cherry in one spot then hit it with one blast of O2. BE WARNED, WHEN THAT OUTER RACE COMES OUT OF THE AXLE TUBE IT LITERALLY EXPLODES OUT!!!! Wear some protection and keep a tarp behind you so as not to have to tell your nieghbour about his window. (see previous "don'task") a little touch up with a dremel and you'll be all set. Sounds like a lot and it is, but I wish someone had told me when I went through it!
HTH
Good luck.
CRS

·
Registered
142 Posts
MuddMachine said:
Slide hammer is the only way dude, sometimes they are damn tight but u just gotta keep poundin till they come out. Did u eat ur wheaties this morning ? :D
Did you beat your sweaties this morning?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To get the axle out get a piece of redi rod, thread a nut onto it and position it in behind the axle plate and the spring pack. (I used a piece of plate steel as a backer) turn the nut so that it pushes the redi rod against the axle plate and eventually it will blow the inner race and the internals of the bearing out. Now to get the outer race out I heated it up quickly with an oxy- acetylene torch to cherry in one spot then hit it with one blast of O2. BE WARNED, WHEN THAT OUTER RACE COMES OUT OF THE AXLE TUBE IT LITERALLY EXPLODES OUT!!!
Ok sounds good,
First off...What is Redi Rod?
Secondly...Won't that totally bend your back axle plate to hell.
Thirdly...If you dont' have an Oxy-Ace-thingy torch and O2 blaster. What else can I substute.
Fourthly... won't that warp your axle.
Fifly...Anyone wanna offer me a hand. LOL

thx

-Flyboy

·
Registered
134 Posts
Flyboy said:

Ok sounds good,
First off...What is Redi Rod?
Secondly...Won't that totally bend your back axle plate to hell.
Thirdly...If you dont' have an Oxy-Ace-thingy torch and O2 blaster. What else can I substute.
Fourthly... won't that warp your axle.
Fifly...Anyone wanna offer me a hand. LOL

thx

-Flyboy
Redi rod, think of a long bolt with no head, you can buy it in different sizes and lenghts. 3/8's is what you want, get two about 16" long. go slow and even and you won't bend anything. try a propane torch and then hit the outer race with a chisel.I did 0 damage to my truck. Sorry I can't help, we're hosting a family BBQ today.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've gotten them out using the following "backyard" procedure.

You bolt a length of chain to 2 of the studs on the axle. Then you slide a big bar through the chain. One end of the bar rests on a big wooden block that is up against the frame. The other end of the bar goes to a scissor jack that is also butted up to the frame. Start cranking the scissor jack and be ready for that axle to fly outa there.

I know it's hoaky but if your stuck your stuck.:D

Excuse my poor drawing.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm Interesting...

Well Wedsnday will be my next chance to get at it so I will give er a go then. Thx for the suggestions.

-Flyboy

I will let ya know how it goes.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Sometimes this works:
Run a length of chain through a BIG concrete block.
Attach both ends of the chain to the wheel studs.
Swing the block as hard as possible away from the wheel until it is stopped by the chain.
Repeat until axle comes flying out.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
296 Posts
Super stupid

How bout anchoring the vehicle being worked on to a tree or something solid with chain opposite to stuck-axle side. Then attaching a come-along{masdam} to the wheel studs of the stuck axle and run the other end to another solid point tree/vehicle get some tension on it and start tapping all the way around with a small sledge and also heating it up.Also tapping it in a bit then back also breaks it free.....

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Super Stupid?

Your not calling me Super Stupid are you?:confused: :confused: :confused:

Stupid...No......Unenlightend...Sometimes......Hungry...ALWAYS:D :eek: :D

·
Registered
296 Posts
Flyboy said:
Super Stupid?

Your not calling me Super Stupid are you?:confused: :confused: :confused:

Stupid...No......Unenlightend...Sometimes......Hungry...ALWAYS:D :eek: :D
no i meant my idea but it worked for me on an old chev and can also be used for body work... a telephone pole is also a good anchor point. ur neighbors fence isn't

·
Registered
412 Posts
ok already, i'm dying with suspense! what happened?
did you get the pesky thing/s out?
did you launch an axle out, and pin yourself to a wall like a butterfly in a display case?:*******

are you dying of de-hydration in your shop, and can't *quite* reach the cell phone to call for help?

c'maan, gi' us the deet's :D

·
Registered
281 Posts
concrete block for axle

lars said:
Sometimes this works:
Run a length of chain through a BIG concrete block.
Attach both ends of the chain to the wheel studs.
Swing the block as hard as possible away from the wheel until it is stopped by the chain.
Repeat until axle comes flying out.

...lars
seen anyone do that one first hand? :*******

It works well, but make sure the truck is WELL supported before this. Also avoid dropping the block on your foot, it hurts. I found that a really long length of chain helps to be able to get a good swing of the block. It's nice how much energy a little momentum will make!

Good Luck!

Ryan Gates
92 Sidekick

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nope not done yet. I haven't had the time to do it so I have been driving it with it all bad, Probably not a good idea. But hey! Funny thing is every time I go out wheelin now I come back with a new hum, or some other sound. But I think that is more so because my Throw out bearing is toast too. And I am now beginning to think I really have to change that one bad.

Anyways I am hopin to give it a try this Thrsday if I get off early. But we will see.

I am opting to do the Wood block with a sissor jack on the other side and the pipe inbetween attached to to a chain connected to the axle and go for the leverage thing. We will see. But if that don't work I do believe the cement block will be my next try.

I will let ya know as soon as I can get to.

-Flyboy:welder

·
Registered
5 Posts
the brick thing is the way to go, but dont forget to change the seal though. If you change that, its the easy way to do it..... :beer

1 - 20 of 28 Posts