BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I got home yesterday from my trip...which included the Jamboree...

First thing I did was put in my tuffy security console, Glove box, and Serious Metal Fab bumper.

I am wondering if anyone else has bought the serious metal bumper and if they had any problems...

My bumper fits pretty sloppily...I realise they are hand made but the measurements kind of make me mad. The bolt holes that mount to the frame (particularily, the nuts welded in the bumper) are not lined up properly.

I got the bumper on but it's not sitting very well...it stills has a slight rattle to it, the bolts barely fit in and we had to use a few washers to make up for the gaping between bolt/frame/and bumper. one hole we had to actually put a smaller bolt in so that it would attach to the bumper and then thread a second nut behind the welded nut to kind of jimmy rig it on.

I don't want this to sound like a bad review as I want to see what Yasu has to say/suggest about it. but I thought while waiting for his email addy I would see if anyone has expierienced the same problems...

Btw with the bumper on I tried to mount my spare...those three bolts that hold the tire don't line up either so my spare sits in the garage until nsor replies...

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
copeland said:
Btw with the bumper on I tried to mount my spare...those three bolts that hold the tire don't line up either so my spare sits in the garage until nsor replies...
The first thing I'd suspect is that what you have is a bumper designed for a CJ and not a TJ/YJ, hence the mismatched wheel bolt pattern.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have the same bumper, not a problem with it what so ever, I also know a few people with the same set up and never heard any major concern. bought mine straight from Clint and he installed it at his shop while I watched. that thing is a sob to install, yes there might be a little gap here and there cause every jeep is different. you can just use a washer to take up the gap. Threading the bolts through the threads on the bumper first be fore install will help the bolts to go in easier while install. that'll break the layer of fresh powder coat. if your spare mount is just a tad off like mine was, put the lug nut on the stud thats not lining up and use a hammer to bang it over a little, it should work.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Lars, the sticker on it said for YJ/TJ The bolts are out by mm's at most, which I can understand since it's hand made...

Scully, thanks as long as we know it's supposed to be a bitch to put on it makes me feel better, I'll have to keep working on it till Yasu contacts me...

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

All is right with the World again. Scully I bashed that one nut and weld broke on it (on the tire holder) so it was loose then threw the tire on and lined it up and tightened, I'm not worried about welding it back on as long as the nut is on it will hold tight thanks...

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

by the way Scully, what did you pay...I'm wondering if I actually got a bc4x4 discount...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.