BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard a few different things about setting up gears, some say that toyota gears are hard to do, and not bring them to just the average gear guy, and a local offroad shop has said that they are prity much the same as a ford 9" and will de no problem to do. What is you opinion should trust the shop he is well known in the area?

·
Registered
416 Posts
I just put new gears in my toy and it took a long time.Mechanic sayed if I had gone with a better set of gears, than it would have been cheaper and took less time to set up.So all I can say is get good quality gears.Just my opinion.

------------------
"Born and Bred To Rip and Shred"

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Super simple to do, just keep your parts in the correct orientation.
You will also need the correct tools for the job,and the skill and experience to use them.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs,1inch body, 35's, detroit locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Buy your gears from Randy's R+P in Everett
The kits come with a super informative guide book
You of course will still need all the proper tools
Knowing how to read a gear pattern (and what to do about it if it's wrong) is where the Black Magic comes into play

------------------
1948 WILLYS flatfender
Gradually becoming un-toyotafied.......Got 4.3???
http://www.ottindustries.com

·
Registered
156 Posts
If i can do it anybody should be able too. I got precision gears 5.29 and put them in myself and set them up in my garage. It was my first time ever doing them i did them when i was 18 years old with 2 years mechanical exp. It takes time but saves big money. Third members are very easy to setup. Never had one noise or problem at all with the gears and i have not been nice to them either.

------------------
Treading Heavily

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would tackel them myself but I don`t have a press and I don`t want to screw up the bearings

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Yes, you'll need the following:
- shop press
- bearing puller for the pinion bearing
- magnetic base
- dial indicator
And of course the install kit with instructions.
But you will need to know how to read the pattern on the ring gear, and how to alter it.
It's not hard, but it can be trial and error.
You can buy all those tools for $500 or so, take your time and get an experienced hand to guide you through the first one.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs,1inch body, 35's, detroit locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts