BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what in your opinion would be the best possible set up for a 82 toyota with $2500 spending cash. i mean lift, tires etc. the truck is stock and is 5 speed

·
Registered
394 Posts
Is this a daily driver, mud machine, rock crawler, mild trails, hardcore..etc.?

For a trail rig:

33 inch mud tires
El-Cheap-O 15x8 steel rims (paint to suit)
Either CJ or YJ front springs (or similar)
Front drop crossmember
Either Wagoneer, Mazda, S-10, or Chev springs in the rear (or similar)
Ford shock towers up front
In-boarded rear shocks
Longest shocks you can find
1" lift block in the rear
Longer brake lines and/or relocated mounts
Welded diffs front (with power steering) and rear
Custom bumpers front and rear
Rocker panel protection
Skid plated diffs, t-case, and oil pan
Bobbed box
Quarter panel ectomy
Trimmed front fenders
Roll bar mounted to the frame
Garage sale CB
Hula Girl Nodder

All this can be done for $2500 if you are thrifty...know how to or know someone generous who can weld.

Lots of metal can be found at scrap yards or your buddies back yard...

Tires can be bought used here...

Most of the other stuff can be had used for cheap...

The Ford towers are cheap enough to avoid the hassle of removing them from a wreck (and most wreckers want too much for them anyway)...

Don't know someone who welds? I here beer and pizza...and a good attitude and sense of humor goes a long way in the 4wheelin' community.

------------------
jo-jo
http://island4x4.com

"Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the centre of the universe". - Fishbone circa 1993

"I love the smell of Argon in the morning, smells like victory".

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert Humphrey

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hehe thanx man, yeh i got a friend who can weld. hes got a toyota with a 350 and dual flowmaster exhaust with 8 inch lift. Quite the truck. But yeah thanx for the info

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
could i still get by if i got a 4 inch life and put 35 muds on the toyo cuz what i want is a decent size truck. Itl be used mostly for trails and just screwing around, it will see some hardcore trail ridin

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what about getting the chevy springs and installing them. But having to reweld things in exact spots n stuff i will prolly mess up on. That would save money right?

·
Registered
412 Posts
That is some good advice up there. If you have cash right now go to the toy for sale section and buy Flex's gears locker and lift and keep your axle for spares. Wheel that for a bit and make it flexy later. Grab a set of 33's from the for sale section and you are set. With gears and lockers you should be able to handle most trails anyway.

Mike.

------------------
FOR SALE:
85 Flat deck toyota, chevy's, new frame, 5.29's, new bearings, detroit rear, true trac front, allpro e brake, new 33's on 15x10 AR aluminums, front axle rebuild, bushwacker cut outs, locking tool box, extended shackles, SR5 buckets, lots of spare parts, email for pics.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by PoorMans4x4:
could i still get by if i got a 4 inch life and put 35 muds on the toyo cuz what i want is a decent size truck. Itl be used mostly for trails and just screwing around, it will see some hardcore trail ridin
Don't know about Toyotas but if you don't have enough clearance, you could probably cut up your fenders to make room.

Speaking of which, Wil just picked up an '87 Toyota so I'll be learning more about modifying them 'cuz I've been drafted to help him build it up.

First step is to replace a head gasket on the 4-cyl.

It has IFS so I fore-see a solid-axle swap in the future. Question is, will the SAS be done in time for RC2002?

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
394 Posts
Originally posted by PoorMans4x4:
33's will do you well...most trails don't require anything larger...I'd start worrying about your gear ratio if you went larger.

Just my opinion, but I would stick to 33s to start, then 35s or 36s when money allows for the larger tires and better gearing.

------------------
jo-jo
http://island4x4.com

"Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the centre of the universe". - Fishbone circa 1993

"I love the smell of Argon in the morning, smells like victory".

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert Humphrey

1 - 8 of 8 Posts