BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is a shackle flip a good way to gain a few inces in the rear. and i can get rear springs off an 83 F250 and was wondering if i can put them up front to match the shackle flip. anyway if anyone can give me some insight that would be great. oh yeah while i'm here what do you do with that steering box on the inside of the left hand wheel that my tire rubs when i make a hard right hand turn. thnx

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Yes and no, depends if you have a factory block or not.

I did the shackle flip on the back of my ford and since it already had a block stacked on top of the factory block lowering only the rear of the spring pointed the pinion up, and made the bocks run at a forward angle, and also moved the tires forward in the wheel opening.

Not a good thing.

If you have no blocks in the rear then the shackle flip will be fine for a couple inches of lift.

Not much you can do about the steering box, add a longer bolt to your steering stops so you can't turn so far, or run more offset on the wheels.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info Dan. it does have blocks on the back that it came with. by the way that is a sick truck you have, i hope i can get mine that big sooner or later.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I just did a shackle flip in my 78 Bronco, it gave me 8" of lift...then I realized that the previous owner put in a add-a-leaf spring pack. I removed the add-a-leaf and voila 6 inches of lift to match the front. The hardest part was removing the brackets from the donor vehicle, the rivets are a major pain to remove. I don't think taking springs from the rear end of a vehicle and putting them up front will be such a great idea...get some springs made up to match what you are doing in the back with the shackle flip. This should net you about 4-6" of lift depending on how you do it!

And why do you want to lift a Highboy? You can already stuff 38's under there with some fender trimming!!!

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Just how much higher than is a Hiboy compared to a non-hiboy? It took 12.5" of lift to get my truck to clear the 38.5's.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Dan said:
Just how much higher than is a Hiboy compared to a non-hiboy? It took 12.5" of lift to get my truck to clear the 38.5's.
You can clear 38's on a 77 Hiboy with just a 3" body lift and some fender trimming. I would maybe say that the fender wells may have a different shape! I have seen a factory Hiboy with 35's and no lift.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts