BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering about doing a rear shackle flip on my F250Superduty so that I could run smaller blocks? I know that I'd have to machine some tapered blocks to correct the pinion angle, but what other problems could I run into?

JP

------------------
99 F250 Super Duty,7.3PSD,reg cab,auto, 4"Procomp lift, 315/75 AT KO's, Rhino Liner

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Originally posted by strong_like_tractor:
I was wondering about doing a rear shackle flip on my F250Superduty so that I could run smaller blocks? I know that I'd have to machine some tapered blocks to correct the pinion angle, but what other problems could I run into?

JP
rougher ride is the main prob. Desert Racers flip the poorly designed ones (like Ranger) to the "upside down" format for improved travel and ride. Less tendancy to sway over on the shackle when its in tensino rather than compression also, especially if its extended.

------------------

I'm on my way to impact, Taste the high speed dirt!

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
It moves your tire forward in the wheel opening and therefore looks dumb.

I tried it. I had two blocks in the rear, did the shackle flip hoping to eliminate one, yeah I gained enough to eliminate one block, but now the block that was left was sitting at a forward angle, which has got to be bad.

The part of the spring that the axle contacts is generally pretty close to parralell with the fram rails, if you go and drop just the rear of the spring you put it at an angle in relation to the rest of the truck, fine if you can get away without a block, but if you still have a block in there you're looking for axlewrap.

------------------
Dan
91 Cherokee, mostly stock.
69 F100 mostly modified.
72 Datsun 510, mostly Bondo.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm still undecided about a shackle flip because I am unsure on what I'll do when it comes time to get new tires. My choices are 315/75 BFG MT-KA's, 35x12.5 16 SSR's, or if I can afford to put 4:30's in the diffs then I consider going to 36" Swamper radials or 37" SSR's. I'm a little concerned with tire wear because I commute from False Creek to Cloverdale daily.

JP

------------------
99 F250 Super Duty,7.3PSD,reg cab,auto, 4"Procomp lift, 315/75 AT KO's, Rhino Liner

·
Registered
41 Posts
ive never had an axle wrap problem caused by the shackle flip, ive done about 10 of them. never had a problem ever, ont in trucks with big lift blocks, mine was bad because I have pulled the bottom 3 leafs out of my pack and have a 6.5`` block, my tire would walk forward and back about 3 inches, but 4 foot long link bars fixed that, absolutly no hop, wrap, verry soft flexable ride. I never looked into the superdutie to see what style hangars it uses but im shure you do it exactly the same way as all other fords.. Independant Chevys are a problem though, the rear leafs are a few inches closer together at the rear of the leafs than the front....the frame is straight, so using the front hangar of the rear springs doesnt work without alot of mods to the hangar, its easyer to have a hangar formed from 3/8 plate

------------------
White 88 Ford F 150, Long box, 96 Front clip,Carburated and Points ignition 302 Solid axle Front, 14`` Suspension lift, 39.5 Swampers, 1179 RTI------ UNDER CONSTRUCTION 86 Ranger Extcab, 351 v8 9`` Rear (full width)Dana 44 front(full width) Spooled front and rear, 4 corners on coils, undetermined lift height, Will roll on 35x16 Boggers

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like what I have to do is drill out the rivets of the back rear shackles, and then put the left one on the right and right on the left. I think that it should give a smoother ride then stock because as long as the angle of the shackle is pointed to the rear of the truck the spring will flatten more easily then in the stock tension position of the shackle.

Thanks
JP

------------------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts