BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for any info on how to locate the proper positioning of the tubes through the frame for the rear shackle mounts i.e. how far between them and how long should the tube should be are things I am looking for. I hope big bad pete has done this already as it will be fresh in his mind. Although any info from anyone would be a great help. Thanks a bunch.

·
1,269 Posts
I'm going to live buggies in the rear, so I'm cutting my rearmost shackle mounts for the rear leafs off and using them for the rear mounts at the front. This means my shackle will be under my frame which, in my humble opinion, is the way to go. As for where to put them, that's a darn good question! Mike would you mind sending me those articles as well? Thanks a bunch.

------------------
I'd tell you about my truck but you probably wouldn't believe me.

·
Registered
544 Posts
if your close i'll lend you some jigs i got from All Pro,they slide on the frame and outline the hole perfectly.10$ as long as I get them back.

------------------
Its done.44044's,chevy's,9012's,36 swampers.and it still fits in the garage!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I used allpro jigs too!! I was going to use the rear shackle under the frame but then you will have to much caster!! I run a droped hanger and 44044's and 1.5 longer than stock shackle and it gave me about 6" lift... I put ott cross over steering on and I had major bump steer!! I ended up getting Al from 4offrd to cut of my knuckles and rotate my housing 12 degrees!!!!! I now have no bump steer and perfect drive shaft angle and it flexes like a S.O.B!!!!!!!!
I put alot of $$ inot my truck to make it perform pefect and be very reliable... don't cheet yourself and cheep out! Any other q's just ask!! I'll help anyone out!

------------------
Poguebilt Toys..... A new breed of Toyota Perfection.
1986 Toyota pickup solid axle conv. 5" susp. 3"body 36" tslsx siped, 5.29's, K&N
spool rear, detroit front, 5012's, 44044's, 4cyl bored, balanced, Doug thorley header, flowmaster muffler, OTT crossover steering , u-bolt flip F/R, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have got a deal dan o. I have e-mailed you with my number. Thanks again

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey poguebilt why do you think you had so much bumpsteer? I am going to run a 2" dropped hanger and 2" longer shackle with either 44044"s or stock waggies as I am only trying to clear 33"s. Do you think I will have the same problem.

·
Registered
373 Posts
hmm.. the hanger i used had bout 1 inch drop and the shackles are sleeved in the stock location and are only 1.5 inches longer than stock.... I used the 44044's and they moved my dif forward 2"! and I put in OTT crossover steering.... when I did it I though I wouldn't have any caster/ bump steer probs... but I did.... the other thing is you can get shims but as far as I know you can on;y get em in 2,4,6 deg. and I needed 12! so Im guessing it had to be the springs! I know that if you have stock hangers and 1.5 longer shackle in stock location with 5" skyjacker springs you will have no prob... but I wanted/needed the dif moved forward 2". I run 36 tslsx and also have 3" body and still run the corner of my fender under max flex....
other than that I really don't know what to say.... maybe someone else might know??

------------------
1986 Toyota pickup solid axle conv. 5" susp. 3"body 36" tslsx siped, 5.29's, K&N
spool rear, detroit front, 5012's, 44044's, 4cyl bored, balanced, Doug thorley header, flowmaster muffler, OTT crossover steering , u-bolt flip F/R, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch

·
Registered
373 Posts
I got it done for $800... cut turn align weld and new inner seals and put all back together! I think its not a bad price considing i had it laser aligned and it was almost dead one both sides!! I Owe Al from 4offrd alot for that! btw... hes the ONLY other person besides myself that I would let touch my truck! He does awesome work!

------------------

·
Registered
276 Posts
Originally posted by Poguebilt:
I used allpro jigs too!! I was going to use the rear shackle under the frame but then you will have to much caster!! I run a droped hanger and 44044's and 1.5 longer than stock shackle and it gave me about 6" lift... I put ott cross over steering on and I had major bump steer!! I ended up getting Al from 4offrd to cut of my knuckles and rotate my housing 12 degrees!!!!! I now have no bump steer and perfect drive shaft angle and it flexes like a S.O.B!!!!!!!!
I put alot of $$ inot my truck to make it perform pefect and be very reliable... don't cheet yourself and cheep out! Any other q's just ask!! I'll help anyone out!

Sounds like you and Dan O have same or similar front setup's. Dan, are you having the same bump steer problems and if not, how is your setup different?

------------------
1991 Toyota 4Runner:
4" Procomp Lift / 2" Roger Brown (4Crawler) Body Lift
Rancho RS9000's / AE 589 15x10 / 35x12.5 Goodyear MT/R
Toyota Electric Locker Rear / Detroit True-Trac Front
5.29 US Gears / Custom 2 1/4" White Rock Muffler Exhaust
Chrome Removed, Black Trim :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Originally posted by MEK:
Sent you a pic and some tech articles, let me know for reference what you find out.

Mike.

Could you send me the same pic and tech articles... [email protected]

Thanks in advance.

------------------
1991 Toyota 4Runner:
4" Procomp Lift / 2" Roger Brown (4Crawler) Body Lift
Rancho RS9000's / AE 589 15x10 / 35x12.5 Goodyear MT/R
Toyota Electric Locker Rear / Detroit True-Trac Front
5.29 US Gears / Custom 2 1/4" White Rock Muffler Exhaust
Chrome Removed, Black Trim :)

·
1,269 Posts
Originally posted by Scooter:
ive heard people talk about sas before, what exactly is it?
It means Solid Axle Swap. No need for you to worry about that though dude, yours came with one.

------------------

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have that exact same set up,my front hanger is 1 inch lower 1.5 inches forward then stock and a 1.75 inch longer then stock shackle.I havent notised(dammit I can't spell)any bump steer,I have had the ocasional shake,but my stock steering box mount(the one on top of the frame) has cracked off.I dident bother fixing it because I have to move the box forward anyways, the tierod just touches the pitman arm under full compression.I just found that out yesterday because I fillaly got a front drive shaft in.the angle sucks big time,4wd in high range over like 5 mph shakes the front end,low range is fine though.I would like to turn the knuckles but with the ammount of bracing I put on there it would be a bitch

------------------
Its done.44044's,chevy's,9012's,36 swampers.and it still fits in the garage!

·
1,269 Posts
Now when you guys say 1 or 2 inches lower do you mean 1" of actual lift lower (2" = 1" of lift of course) or just 1" more metal (which would be 0.5" of lift)?

------------------

1 - 16 of 16 Posts