BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much lift can u get off a shackle lift and how much would it cost?

------------------
Blue 1981 CJ5
*Damnit, anyone see where that door went?"

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
why dont u just ask me???

Well anyways..... U seen my rig and i got exstended shackles and it only gave me just over 1" of list. They cost around $130 for a set of 4.

ps. I got your pics so just call me and i will bring them over

Home 604-590-8557
cell 604-813-4553

------------------
" Friends dont let friends drive Fords! "

92 Jeep YJ with 3 inch lift running 31's

·
Registered
158 Posts
I wouldn't recommend a shackle lift because you need a long shackle to gain a little lift. Also, the longer the shackle, the easier it gets hung up on stuff. (ie, stuck on rocks)

------------------
Play hard + Rest easy
Drive a Jeep
'92 YJ

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
i think u should comming wheeling with me some time soon and look how my jeep wheels. Then u should be able to answer your question yourself.

------------------
92 Jeep YJ with 1 inch shackle lift and a 2 inch body lift running 31's

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey Brent, how much longer are your shackles than stock?? Are they and inch longer or does the length actually lift you up and inch?

------------------
Play hard + Rest easy
Drive a Jeep
'92 YJ

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
I dont know how much longer they are they stock but they are about 1 inch longer but way thicker. They wont break for sure. They do give me that inch lift maybe even more.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Brent (edited September 16, 2001).]

·
Registered
722 Posts
If your shackles are only 1 inch longer than stock, it'll only give you 1/2 inch of lift. For any lift you get, the shackle will be twice as long. may be yours are 2 inches longer than stock.

------------------
90 XJ traded it for
91 YJ stolen, replaced with
92 YJ

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
to tell u the truth i have never measured but the guys at sport trucks told me that they would give me a inch of lift or more and i am sure they did.

------------------

·
Registered
158 Posts
No thanks, just curious

------------------
Play hard + Rest easy
Drive a Jeep
'92 YJ

·
Registered
70 Posts
I love the amount of height I gained (1"-1 1/2") by adding longer shackles. A couple of weeks later though I started to notice slight driveline vibrations which got worse over time and led to broken u-joints and lots of frustration. The shackles were built by a guy a Serious Metal and are three inch longer than stock. They cost $150. Cheap for 1 1/2 inches of lift but factor in the cost of fixing my drive angles and it was not worth it. $600 plus a CV driveshaft($275) plus new mufflers-$150(after getting bashed by flying driveshaft). So nearly $1200 for an inch and a damn half. Think about the chain before you do this mod.
Ps. In comparison, I just ordered a Rubicon 4 1/2 inch Extreme Duty with everything include for $1500

------------------
80 Cj5, 360amc, Swampers, Custom 5in. lift, Off Road only
92 XJ 6" Rubicon, 32s, strictly street

·
Registered
327 Posts
The biggest problem with shackle lifts is they knock out your caster. Meaning your steering knuckles lean back towards the rear. when you do a shackle ift that changes. They lean more to the front, which in turn can make steering feel like you have lots of weight in the back. If you are looking for lift [cheap] try an add a leaf good for about 2" maybe. Or for around 500 you can put in 2.5 inch lift springs but then you have to change shocks. Wheeling is not cheap, I have found out first hand. All those little things add up. ie broken u-joints. I would wait or see if you can get a used lift from someone. I have been toying with the idea of a shackle reversal and making everything a inch loger for a true 1 inch lift.

my 0.02 cents

------------------
92yj d44 front& rear.4.09
33 geolanders
mazda 626 seats
2.5 susp lift 3" body
revolver shackles coming
with motor swap..

·
Registered
50 Posts
i installed a 1 1/2" shackle lift in my toy, meaning that the shackles are 3" longer than stock. i had to install a 4degree shim to keep my u-joints at proper angles. i don't know that much about jeep suspensions but couldn't you use a shim as well? they also say that for best results longer shackles should be used in conjunction with lifted springs

------------------
when in doubt, hammer the gas
81 toy 4.5-5"lift, rebuilt 22r, homebuilt bumpers, 33 mud kings JDgreen, 4.37's

·
Registered
149 Posts
My first lift was a 1.25" shackle lift. Got it from Sports Trucks Unlimited in langley. They gave me enough lift to allow for 31" tires in my YJ.
To tell you the truth, I didn't really notice any vibration problem. It may have been due to the fact that my springs were sagged a bit so it didn't truelly lift me that much over stock height. The extra ground clearance helped, but my approach angle didn't change, and I bashed my shackles into rocks quite often.

I still run my 1.25" shackle lift, but it's used with my SOA conversion now, so the approach angle issue no longer applies. Still, for a cheap lift, I would personally recommend it, especially if it will allow you to run a bigger tire. Bigger tires are the only true way to gain more clearance under the truck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts