BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mmy stock shocks have HAD IT on my 84 bronco II, and I'mm looking for a good pair of off-road shocks. I know the big brand is rancho, but I heard monroe gas-riders were a good brand as well. Any other suggestions would be great too! Im looking for a high quality shock for a decent price. I still do a lot of road driving too so I need something that can do a little bit of both.

thnx

·
Registered
898 Posts
While it may not be the most popular choice, my Trailmaster SSV's have helped Broncenstein to handle considerably better than the wife's BII with Monroe's. I had to buy them based on compressed and extended length because of the lift, so I have no idea what they were meant to fit on, but they work for me. Next time the wife's gets new shocks, they will be the Trailmasters...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just reading your trademark thing...just wondering if you did a solid axle swap for the 4.10s in your 84 or you used lower gearing out of an IFS. How much did it cost? cuase lets face it...3.73 suck a$$

·
Registered
898 Posts
About my 4.10's

The 4.10 gears in Broncenstein are in the stock axles from my wife's '85 Eddie Bauer BII. When the A4LD in her truck blew up (yeah, like it was a big surprise THAT happened...), I told her that I would use the cash I had saved for my gear swap to replace her tranny, on the condition that I could swap my stock 3.73's for her stock 4.10's:D
Now the Pavement Queen is a bit of a slug off the line (which is okay with me-she has to keep that green "N" in her back window anyway), and it not only saved me the cost of a gear swap, but I got the rear L/S (which is tight enough to break the inside tire loose on U-turns) With the 4.10's and 32's I now have a speedometer that is more accurate than it was when it left the factory (within 1% of dead accurate according to my Magellan GPS 300).

Once I can afford the 5.13's for the D35 and 8.8 I have out back, I'll be swapping the 4.10's back to the Pavement Queen, and hopefully the wife will be experienced enough to be able to handle the lower gears.

The 4.10's (and often rear L/S) were mostly found in the Eddie Bauer BII's. They may also have been stock in some of the XLT models as well. Best bet to find them is to find a parts-truck that has them, haul it home, and spend a leisurely weekend swapping them in.

Oh, and she paid $3200 for the Eddie Bauer, and I paid $350 for her replacement A4LD:D

·
Registered
189 Posts
4.10s

my 89 ranger custom came with 4.10 and Ls

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
4.10s would be nice, but lets just do one thing at a time here.lol. How much for trailmasters per shock? how much for ranchos per shock?

·
Registered
898 Posts
I'd have to dig out the receipt (its been a couple of years), but IIRC the Trailmasters cost me under $65/pair at Lordco(with my BC4x4 discount card, of course):D No idea what the Ranchos go for...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts