BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will soon be taking on the project of putting Unimog 404 axles under my truck. How big a job am I looking at here? I have limated tools(only hand tools) and no welding ability. If I have someone to do any welding is this something I can do myself or should I leave it to the pros? I have decent mechanical knowlege, but very little experience. I am basically learning as I go.

Thanks

------------------
Coquitlam Crawlers
------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
360 V8, TF-727, NP-205, D44 front, chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker
http://members.shaw.ca/jaretthumphrey

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by Jarett:
I will soon be taking on the project of putting Unimog 404 axles under my truck. How big a job am I looking at here? I have limated tools(only hand tools) and no welding ability. If I have someone to do any welding is this something I can do myself or should I leave it to the pros? I have decent mechanical knowlege, but very little experience. I am basically learning as I go.
Depends on whether or not those axles are going to be stock 404 axles or modified by Exaxt (the company that Rob Bryce is part of). For starters, you'll need to cut the pinion and modify it to use a common u-joint yoke. That alone will require more than simple hand tools. That's a 4-banana job. Get Exaxt to do it. After that, you'll also need to make some anti-wrap bars for the front and back since the portal hubs will put a lot of torque twist on your springs. Some welding will definitely be required for that. That's a 2.5-banana job. You can probably design a decent anti-wrap bar set-up although if you've never fabbed stuff before, I would at least suggest that you get it ok'd by someone who has. You'll need to do some cutting and grinding so at a minimum, you should have access to an angle grinder and a drill.

As for the steering it would be _really_good_ if you got Exaxt to put a high-steer arm on the 404 axle so you can use normal cross-over steering.

You'll also need some wooden blocks to supplet your regular jackstands or else buy some really, really tall jackstands.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Definitely leave it to the pros. With just hand tools and no experience it'll just not cut it. To do a proper axle swap and I imagine, you would like to do some suspension tweaks and lift, you need to go into the job with the general vision of the finished project. This will include details, of how suspension works, how you will accomplish that in your particular application and how you will actually put it together. You must keep in mind things like, what can and cannot be welded, what is better off bolted vrs. welded, etc, geometry of steering and so on. Each aspect of the above you will change will then inevitably affect the rest.

To cut the long story short: get someone with experience to do it, you will learn a lot for the future endeavors.
Remember: Friends don’t let friends drive junk.
That's just my $.02.

------------------
If you didn't roll it, you havn't tried hard enough! I have...

[This message has been edited by MudKick (edited February 26, 2002).]

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input.

Lars: I am buying the axles from Exaxt. I have ben chatting with Rob for a little while.

It's funny. When I first started thinking about putting mog axles under the truck , a year ago, I thought I was the first. Now I discover that someone actually converts these things to be put under trucks. Guess my idea isn't as original as I though.

------------------
Coquitlam Crawlers
------------------

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just out of total curiosity, what are those axles worth? What are the specs on them ie., ring gear size, axle spline etc.,

------------------
Just because the next guy has frosted tips, an earing, and a jeep doesn't mean you have to!
89 Toy p/u, locked rear, 4.3l on propane, still ifs. Work in progress

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
here is where I am buying them from. There is all sorts of info on the site, even prices.
www.exaxt.ca

------------------
Coquitlam Crawlers
------------------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts