BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 97 side kick and I can't decide on how I want to lift it. Friend is telling me to do a 1 1/2 coil lift with 28s. Is this going to be enough. I'm new to off roading (driving anyhow)and it seems to me I might get some body damage with that, but I'm sure it will drive better than that with an extra 3" body lift.? I'm not a heavy duty rock crawler, but would like to get where I want to go. Any ideas or Pics of yours??

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
http://www.izook.com/tech/tracker/jim_mazzola.htm http://www.puresuzuki.com/sidekick_tracker.htm http://www.zukiworld.com/month_030101/feature_trickerkickersuspension_01.htm

have a look at these...
A low-down Sideflip will definitely need some rocker guards. A bit of body lift can't hurt, tho 3" is probably more involved than say 1.5 or 2. With a smaller bodylift, you gain a bit of height and tire clearace, and regain what you lose with the nerfs or rocker guards, without most of the inherent problems of a body lift. As far as I know, Calmini and ProComp offer 2.5-3" suspensions that are said to improve off road ride.
Someday I will find a Sidekick cheap enough for ME to buy
no motor? no problem!

------------------

I'm on my way to impact, Taste the high speed dirt!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Keep this post going, my girlfreind has a Sidekick, and she's starting to want to drive herself on offroad trips.

------------------
87 runner, 4500 lbs dry, auto tranny, 22RE, very slow on hills, flats and downhills....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Also, does anyone know a Calmini dealer in Vancouver? What kind of cost does the 3" Calmini kit carry. On their website they advertise a 6", 3" susp, 3" body lift kit they sell that allows 32 inch tires. Just curious how much for that?

------------------
87 runner, 4500 lbs dry, auto tranny, 22RE, very slow on hills, flats and downhills....

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Originally posted by ryankenn:
Also, does anyone know a Calmini dealer in Vancouver? What kind of cost does the 3" Calmini kit carry. On their website they advertise a 6", 3" susp, 3" body lift kit they sell that allows 32 inch tires. Just curious how much for that?
Calmini lists just under $1000 US for the 3" susp, and I think about $150US for the body lift. Northshore Offroad and Sport Trucks Unlimited can get it, for a price!

------------------

·
Registered
401 Posts
If you are looking for a cheap way to lift it (I didn't say correct, just cheap
)

Go with a body lift and 1" coil spacers all around that should get you up enough for 29-30" tires

------------------
IRC member
1986 radio flyer, red

·
Registered
35 Posts
I did a Calmini 3" body lift a while back it can be a little more involved than they say if you want to keep your stock bumper (the new brackets are a pain) also frozen body mounts can be a problem. After all the work is done it gives lots of body clearance. If you live on the island check out D&D in south Duncan he may be able to set you up cheaper than the $350+ incl. Taxes from NSOR.But their delivery was very prompt. I am also looking into the spacers.
Have Fun
Dan

------------------
89 sidekick

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have ordered the calmini 3" suspenion lift for my 94 4dr sidekick.. it is really cool... and the price is reasonable.. $1550 plus tax.......
leave me a msg if you get more information

------------------
Fat Mike
94 Silly sidekick

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Trazzy,
I've had an 89 SIDEKICK for years now and started driving it off-road almost since day one. It was perfectly stock, complete with the 205's racing slicks. Didn't take long to figure I needed some tires. Contrary to every tire shop in town 235' mud's (equivalent of 29"s) fit there on stock rims with only some very minor rubbing under only the most severe angles. It did not matter.
My first bad experiance was jamming both of my doors when I hi-centered once on a pile of dirt.
I can tell you, I agree with Mr. Captain Airtime, you will need the rocker protection.
A week after my door-jam-session I was driving with 2 inches of body lift and some nurf bars. Reo at No Limit Off Road did a good job you can call him at 526-5268. For a resonable price he took care of everything, including bumpers and all.
As a result I had an identical clearance under my doors as a stock Kick, but I no longer fear any more door damage. This is a must. (Now I use my nurf bars to pivit my truck around obstacles when negotiating tight, rocky turns.)
Oh, yes, I got more tire clearance too.
As fro suspention lifts, I recently put in a 2.5inch second hand Pro Comp. I heard it is no longer available. Since I had to replace a driver side CV joint. I am not sure yet if that was related to the lift. It could well be...
Yes, Calmini has a 3" susp. lift.
You can also check out the www.rocky-road.com
they got apprx 2" susp lift combo.

As for Calmini dealers, I don't know of any so called dealers. Most 4x4 shops you go to will order directly from Calmini and they will probably manage a better price then you would have.
.. hope this helps, I am glad to see more guys going for the S-Kicks. I myself have a front solid axle conversion in mind. Anybody with ideas..??

------------------
If you didn't roll it, you havn't tried hard enough!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Originally posted by MudKick:
you will need the rocker protection.
Since I had to replace a driver side CV joint. I am not sure yet if that was related to the lift. It could well be...
.. hope this helps, I am glad to see more guys going for the S-Kicks. I myself have a front solid axle conversion in mind. Anybody with ideas..??

Yes that CV was most likely related to the procomp lift. You should do a ~1/4" spacer for the drv side joint to balance it out a bit.

Rocker protection is a good idea. I guess I should look into starting to produce a rocker guard like the ones I built before, but the labor time makes it not worthwhile. Maybee sometime int he future, since sidekick stuff is really picking up.

As far as the solid front, it seems like thats getting to be more commonplace now. My guess is that pretty soon it'll be like the toyota swaps where a whole bunch of people are doing the swaps, especially with leaf spring setups because it is simplier. My only advice is to be careful... Refer to the thread in the toyota section to see what can go wrong.

Capt Air Time, you emailed me a while ago but I lost your adress, can you send it again? Thanks.

Ryan Gates
92 Sidekick (with SA front, rockers, bumpers, skids, blah blah blah...)

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Kicker, would you know where I can get that spacer? I would like to get that done if the lift causes the wear. My new CV did not see much off roading yet so before I wreck it I dlike to take care of the problem.
How about your SF? Did you do it yourself?
I don't know anyone that has done one of these conversion on a Kick. It is impossible to get an educated oppinion on that type of work...

------------------
If you didn't roll it, you havn't tried hard enough!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Kicker, would you know where I can get that spacer? I would like to get that done if the lift causes the wear. My new CV did not see much off roading yet so before I wreck it I dlike to take care of the problem.
How about your SF? Did you do it yourself?
I don't know anyone that has done one of these conversion on a Kick. It is impossible to get an educated oppinion on that type of work...

If you've got the money, Specialty Engineering in New Westminster does awesome fabrication... Pricey, but top notch. 4 Off Rd in Maple Ridge also does some neat stuff.
You might check Trax Autocraft in Port Moody too, but I'm not sure if he's still doing that kind of fab. Like most things, it comes down to who you know, and how much you got :) There is no substitute for thorough research on your own, tho. Spend the time looking at the 'kick, and possible axles, different suspension designs, etc. Most of the better fabricators don't like to be bugged by a million questions, as their time is too valuable. Try to be well informed beforehand. This is a good place to start, but there are many suzuki mailing lists with a wealth of info if you make the time to join, ask, and LISTEN.
Good luck,
Erik

------------------

·
Registered
281 Posts
Kicker, would you know where I can get that spacer? How about your SF? Did you do it yourself?

Gotta make the spacer yourself if thats what you need. Have you flipped the strut mount when doing the procomp lift? (I forgot what the instructions said!)If the problem is that the CV joint is pulling itself apart the simplist way (other than changing the lift) is to just make the whole setup a slight bit wider.

Yes, designed and built the SF for mine, and as far as an 'educated opinion' I wouldn't be the one to ask, but there are lots of poeple out there that really know their stuff. It's tough to explain things though unless the other person has a good understanding of whats going on, so I agree with the last post, do your research before hand, and don't expect any cut and dry answers.

Hope that helps,

Ryan Gates
92 Sidekick

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.