BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

From when I was 16 to 21 I had a 78 Land Cruiser that I built all by myself (full frame off, 3.5 inch lift, 33's). Being a poor student I was in need of a vehicle that was fuel effient and wasn't always broken. In came the VW, its faster, cheaper and more reliablr that the TLC, but its not a 4x4. Now after 6 months of farugnugen, I want a kidney jarring ride again. So if you guys could tell me the weak points of a sidekick are that would be great. And also I have a set of 235/75/R15 Super Diggers lying around what would it take to fit them? I was thinking 2" coil spacer with a body lift. One more question, how high can I lift the body without having to worry about new break lines?

Thanks,
from your new friend mike.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Welcome to the Board "Need_a_4wd"

First off, you will fit 235's onto a stock Kick without rubbing on the body. They will rub on the frame a little, but only when you crank your wheels all the way right or left, not a biggy. I drove like that for 2 years and there was no issues.

As for weak points, I found when you leave the suspention alone the truck is very reliable. I had no brakage at all with stock suspention. All stock drive shaft angles and CV angles are nice on the Sidekick. I've beat on it hard... and I mean it... and nothing ever went.

The largest weakness on the stock truck is the clearance, that's for sure. However all the vital components are tucked nicely over the frame. The frame crossmembers took a lot of pounding, though, so I had to replace one that the transmition sits on (cheep from the scrap yard) as my gear shifter was out of allignment a bit.

Lastly, from my experience the rocker panels are way low, so they get dragged over rocks all the time. Due to that problem I decided to go for the 2" body lift. (No brakeline issues there) The body lift allowed me to put the nurf bars, so no more body damage.

Once I put 2.5" suspention lift I've noticed that the truck's stock reliability is compromised.
In 2 years I:
broke a front axleshaft (don't know why)
replaced a CV joint
replaced rear drive shaft U joint
rear end bearing started humming.
I theorise that the last 3 problems are due to the lift.
I guess that's not too bad for an 89 truck with over 250 000K on it.

Be carefull with the 89-91 or 92 1600 8V engined ones. The early 1600 8Valves had a problem with cracking blocks. 92 or 93 and up had that problem fixed. All 1600 16 Valve
are the best choice IMHO.

------------------
If you didn't roll it, you havn't tried hard enough!

G

·
I put in the 3" Calmini body. I didn't have to replace any brake lines, just relocate where one passes through the inner fender. The only problem with the kit was no brackets to remount the rear bumper, so I just rigged it up on my own. I've been really happy with mine 210,000k. I replaced the motor with a '94 1.6 and my rear diff is making a bit of noise, but it's been reliable and fun. Look for rusty seams in the rear floor below the back seat mount, oh and get one with the removable hard top 'cause they are a little chilly in the winter with the soft top on.
JC

------------------
'94 Chev 1/2ton 6"ProComp
'89 Sidekick 3" body

G

·
Hey MudKick did you buy or build your nerf bars? At what cost?
Thanx JC

------------------
'94 Chev 1/2ton 6"ProComp
'89 Sidekick 3" body

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Hey, JC.
Mine were built. They are made from 2" square tube 1/4" hi strenght steel.
The best mod I've ever done. They are welded directly to the frame and reach just a bit beyond the width of the bottom of my door.
They took some major impacts with not even a scratch.
Reo at NLOR built them for me.
Now I somethimes use them to pivit my truck aroud big rocks in tight areas, ...talk about turning radius...

------------------

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Oh yeah, the cost. It's been awhile, I don't remember exactly, I think it was 200 al put in and all.

------------------

·
Registered
35 Posts
i've had my 1989 since new i now have a 3" body lift 1" coil spacers and am running 265/75/15's with no problems i run my truck fairly hard and drive about 200 hi-way km's a day. the only breakage i've had is i replaced a trany last year (noisy Bearings) 2 sets of front pads and a timing belt every 100,000 k's 265,000 on truck leaks about 1/2 Litre of oil between changes
dan

------------------
89 sidekick
3" body lift
1" h/m suspension lift
265/75x15's
next project
1979 LJ80

1 - 8 of 8 Posts