BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any one out there have any experience with sidekick suspension lifts?
pro's and con's of calmini vs. pro-comp
thanks
dan

------------------
89 sidekick
3" body lift
1" h/m suspension lift
265/75x15's
next project
1979 LJ80

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i guess no one has an opinion
dan

------------------
89 sidekick
3" body lift
1" h/m suspension lift
265/75x15's
next project
1979 LJ80

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hey Dan!

If you look close at the Pro-comp lift you will notice it just lowers your existing A-arms and doesn't really offer any additional flex.

The Calmini gives you more flex and I have heard a better ride.

But I would pass on all this and go solid front axle from a Toyota

------------------
IRC member
'83 toyota truck, customized :)

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I would argue a bit with the last post. I had a Pro Comp 2.5 lift and I noticed reasonably more flex, especially in the rear. The ProComp lift utilizes 2.5 inch longer coil springs then stock which in turn give you the 2.5 inch lift and more wheel travel.
As to lowering the A-arms..., well, they are only lower in relation to the rest of the truck. But the truck is now taller. In simple terms the A arms remain where they always have been relative to the ground but the frame and the rest of the works sits higher.
That makes that lift superior to Calmini in terms of steering controll and aligment. With Pro comp you virtually retain stock specks when it coms to steering, handling and alignment (pronounce-tire wear)that is something, that I heard Calmini lifts have some issues.
IMHO I am not teh biggest fan of tubular A-arms, again - Calmini.

I will agree with the solid axle conversion. That is the only way to get serious with the Sidekick. If you keep the IFS you will be running inevidably (excuse the spelling) into CV joint problems and alligment adjustments if you re-arrange your A-arm or two on your next trip. Oh, what do you know, if you go Pro Comp you can pick up a stock A-arm from the wrecker ffor next to nothing.

Another point on the SA. Sideckick axle width is 57 inches! That is much wider then many realise. I personally would suggest something wider then Toy front for a Kick.
Toy fronts work great on Sammies but may come a bit close to the fender wells on the Sidekick.

------------------
If you didn't roll it, you havn't tried hard enough!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Originally posted by MudKick:
That makes that lift superior to Calmini in terms of steering controll and aligment. With Pro comp you virtually retain stock specks when it coms to steering, handling and alignment (pronounce-tire wear)that is something, that I heard Calmini lifts have some issues.

Look at the way the tie rod angle when compared to control arm angle changes when you put in the procomp kit. The steering geometry does not in fact remain the same. Both kits will be alligned to the same specs as the factory, as those are pretty generous with the tolerance.
Another point on the SA. Sideckick axle width is 57 inches! That is much wider then many realise. I personally would suggest something wider then Toy front for a Kick.
Another big problem is the gear ratios not matching up. AFAIK, toyotas don't support either 5.13 or 4.62 ratios.

And your right, the sidekick track width is quite wide compared to most other.

The only way to really solve this I think would be to swap both front and rear axles. Make sure though that you find something from a vehicle with close to the same factory wheelbase (about 86.5" I think).

Basicly I still think just about every trail in BC can be handled by a sidekick with the right combination of mild lift, body trimming, t-case gears, lockers and skidplates. A solid front isn't a requirement, especially for the amount of work.

I'm still waiting to see a company that will start producing a conversion, since it's been talked about for such a long time. I think it all comes down to cost. Most people aren't willing to spend about $4000 or $5000 to convert to a solid front. That could but you a suspension lift kit, dual arbs, and t-case gears. which is more bang for your buck?

Hope that helps!

Ryan Gates
92 Sidekick

PS: Calmini or OME are the only two kits currently being produced, so finind a new procomp one might be tough.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i have some experience with the Calmini latest 3" suspension lift

------------------
Fat Mike
94 Silly sidekick with 3" calmini suspension lift

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how is it for flex? does it have good hi-way manners?(i drive about 200 km's per day on the hi-way) did the install go okay?
you can e-mail me with your opinions (or post them) i'm looking for all the info i can get before spending the bankroll.
thanks dan

------------------
89 sidekick
3" body lift
1" h/m suspension lift
265/75x15's
next project
1979 LJ80

·
Registered
229 Posts
Calmini has a great set up, I was at the Zuki World run in Portland earlier this year and saw Junior's rig which is one of Calmin's factory test rigs. The machine was un stopable. It runs the new reduced gears in it, wow. But as far as the lift, it's a really clean set up, well worth the money if you are serious about using your rig as a daily driver. The suspension is a little stiff out of the box until it is broken in
www.zukiworld.com I am personally going to be putting this set up into a 4door kick when I'm back from the noth next summer. As for solid axle, sure, but for a daily driver I don't know? Trail Tough has a new axle out, it's a sidekick hy brid. I think it might just be the right one to use?

That's just my two cents

------------------
The diffrence between a good and bad driver is how many parts you leave broken on the trail:)

·
Registered
73 Posts
you must need to really think about it......
i have the driveshaft problem.... the rear bracket broken once...... the front wheels have toe-in.....

------------------
Fat Mike

·
Registered
281 Posts
Originally posted by fat mike:
you must need to really think about it......
i have the driveshaft problem.... the rear bracket broken once...... the front wheels have toe-in.....

Did you adjust the pinion angle for the rear axle? It should be at the same angle as the transfer case output. use a small level to get both equal, or have a shop adjust it for you.

also toe-in is not a problem, go get an allignment done. After any suspension or ride height changes you should get an allignment done.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I haved done all the things that you have mention. What i can really do is hit my head to smash the wall,and then pour money to change the driveshaft and purschase the wheel spacer
haha. the angle.... you will know after you install it.
PS.. the rear bracket broken when i was driving the mainly street. So funny... other driver look at me like that i come from the mars...and i have waited 2 week for the parts..sound good right ?
If you are rich or you love to against the problem... go ahead.... and enjoy the trouble.

------------------
Fat Mike

·
Registered
281 Posts
I haved done all the things that you have mention
How/why are your tires still toe-in (excessivly?) after getting an allignment done? That just makes no sense.

Ok, what problems are you having with the rear driveshaft angle, I might be able to help.

Ryan Gates
92 Sidekick

G

·
I.ve been running a Calmini lift for 7 years and have found it to be unbreakable. I build and design suspensions for Sammys and Sidekicks and I have yet to find a way to improve on calmini's lift.
At this time I have a 91 tracker with 33" tires 3" lift, a four link rear suspention,stock 1.6l engine, dual Toyota t-cases bolted to a Toyota Turbo tranny, stock axles with lock-rights, 4.31 x 2.28 x 2.28 x 5.12 = 115 to 1 crawl ratio and a STOCK IFS up front and I can go anywhere I want. (really I'm serious, 5+ plus trails are common for this vehicle)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Originally posted by kerry1.6-toyota:
115 to 1 crawl ratio and a STOCK IFS up front
lol, how many front diffs and CV joints have you gone through?

With the toyota tranny and dual t-cases, how much longer did it end up compared to the stock drivetrain? I'm also curious about the four link you did in the rear, why not stay with the upper A arm type setup and just make longer links to match your driveshaft movement? (I guess you don't have to worry about that with fixed yokes!)

Where abouts are you from? I'd like to see what you've done and maybee swap some ideas with you.

Ryan Gates
92 Sidekick (5.5" susp. lift, solid front axle on a fivelink, 31's, steel bumpers, etc)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Originally posted by kerry1.6-toyota:
I.ve been running a Calmini lift for 7 years and have found it to be unbreakable. I build and design suspensions for Sammys and Sidekicks and I have yet to find a way to improve on calmini's lift.
At this time I have a 91 tracker with 33" tires 3" lift, a four link rear suspention,stock 1.6l engine, dual Toyota t-cases bolted to a Toyota Turbo tranny, stock axles with lock-rights, 4.31 x 2.28 x 2.28 x 5.12 = 115 to 1 crawl ratio and a STOCK IFS up front and I can go anywhere I want. (really I'm serious, 5+ plus trails are common for this vehicle)
I reckognize you from Pirate 4x4... I think I'm gonna do your kicker motor to toyota tranny.. seems like a good option...

·
Registered
73 Posts
hahaha..... the calmini is unbreakable ? the rear alxe bracket has broken after the installation about a month.
Yes no sense on the front wheel..... i have carry my car to mids for the alignment but the result is still there......!
The driveshaft problem ... the U-joint seem wear out after install the calmini parts,and the drive shaft seem does not long enough for the angle; moreover, my car is very nosiy after 50km/h. Currently, I have more trouble now which is that i can't shift down from "P" to "D".

I can said I am totally disappointed about this kits.

------------------
Fat Mike

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yes no sense on the front wheel..... i have carry my car to mids for the alignment but the result is still there......!

You said origionally that your Toe was way off, were there not able to correct that? I'd suggest going to a differant allignment shop, sounds liek those guys didn't know how to setup a SWB 4x4 properly. Either that or you have something bent etc in the front end.

The driveshaft problem ... the U-joint seem wear out after install the calmini parts,and the drive shaft seem does not long enough for the angle; moreover, my car is very nosiy after 50km/h. Currently, I have more trouble now which is that i can't shift down from "P" to "D".
How much of the slip yoke (the shiny part of it) is visible when sitting on flat ground?

Sounds like you're probably getting a driveshaft vibration. Might want to check that rear pinion angle again. It doesn't take much to be out enough to cause a good vibration at 50km/h.

Don't know about your shifting problem from P to D, unless you have a body lift in there as well? A suspension lift doesn't do anything that affects your tranny or shifters. Might want to check reverse lockout switch thing on the shifter to make sure it's still fully releasing when you press it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hello Ryan,
i do not know how much of the yoke slipped, but i can hear the strange nosie.Excuse me that i am the beginner of off-roader ,and i also lack of mechcanic knowledge.Can you recommend me any off-road shop to solve the driveshaft problem ? Actually, you can give me the estimate price of it ? Certainly, i am quite afriad that the U-joint would be broke,while i am driving on the road . Thanks for answer my question.

------------------
Fat Mike
94 Silly sidekick with 3" calmini suspension lift >.<

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well, where abouts do you live in Vancouver? I'm in the langley/cloverdale area, so if your nearby then email me and I can probably help ya out on that one.

If the ujoint is toast that would give you a big vibration like you mentioned. Can pull them out and check, it's not too tough to do, will need some gear oil though to fill the t-case back up afterwards though! (damn slip yokes~!)

Anyways, email me off-list and we'll sort out a time to fix this thing.

Ryan Gates
92 Sidekick
72 Dodge Demon

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hello Ryan....
have you got the email from me ?

------------------
Fat Mike
94 Silly sidekick with 3" calmini suspension lift >.<

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.