BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
91 4DR Sidekick Auto w/Stock Gears and no lift yet.

I have stock rims and 205's on it right now. Planning on buying the Calmini 3" suspension lift.
Thinking about running either 29/10.5/15 on 8" rims or 30/9.5/15 on 7" or 8" rims.
Not worried about gearing as I have a set of 5.13's to swap to make up for the tire size increase.

So my question is can I run those tires under my Kick until I get the lift or will they rub when turning on the street. I'm not going to be wheeling until I get the lift. What is everyone else running?
Thanks Very Much

------------------
1991 4Dr Sidekick JLX
Calmini Lift (SOON)
Tires? Oh what to buy?
Speed Kills! Let Me Drive And We Will Live Forever)
[email protected]

G

·
You'll have to trim off the lip on the inside back of the fender to fit even the 29's. I did it with the 3" Calmini body and fit 31x10.5 on 15x8's. I'd wait until you have the lift to get the rubber. I put 513's(I have the auto too) and I got all my power back plus some with the 31's.
With the 3" suspension you may get away minimal hacking.
Wait and you'll be happier with 31's, I was!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
31's you say, what kind? Hmmm, my buddy Rhinogear has the Calmini lift with 30's and it's huge. I guess I will have to wait to to everthing at once, I don't like the idea of having the lift with stock 205's. Hmmm.

------------------
1991 4Dr Sidekick JLX
Calmini Lift (SOON)
Tires? Oh what to buy?
[email protected]

·
Registered
68 Posts
I did my calmini lift, with stock tires...then the 3 inch body lift and still like 3 months of stock tires and finally got my 31's and still had trimming to do.

Personally i suggest saving u're money to do an axle swap, i sure wish i had, but thats only if u really get into the sport, i break too many front end parts..lol

The 30's should fit on, i've heard of many people fitting 235's on stock

------------------
My british smile is due
to the fact that i eat
rocks 4 dinner!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Just do the SAS and go with 35's. LOL

------------------
If you didn't roll it, you havn't tried hard enough! I have...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow it's good to hear from people
. I'm going to go take a ride in my buddy Rhinogears 4dr with the Calmini 3" suspension lift and 30's to confirm that is the way that I want to go(lift wise.) I want to keep this rig fairly tame so it's still nice to drive. I like the look of JC's with 31's, I just want to be able to keep some fuel economy
. Speaking of which has anybody heard if keltec has started pumping diesel kits out again? I had one ordered but they sold it on me, I am hoping to put a turbo vw diesel in my 4dr later this year. Hopefully I can buy another kick and really go hard core with it(his and hers) and try a solid axel setup.

Thanks again everybody, I love hearing everybodys ideas.

------------------
1991 4Dr Sidekick JLX
Calmini Lift (SOON)
Tires? Oh what to buy?
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Hey Tuner, what R U going 2 do with your 16V and harness after U do the diesel swap?

------------------

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MudKick, sorry I only have a 8 valve. Thats why I want to do the diesel swap. Are you looking for a 16 valve? I might know where one is. It's just the engine,the head needs to be rebuilt. I could probablly track down the rest ie fuel injection.

I head you are running soild axels? Do you have any pics? I would sure like to see your rig when I get settled into the coast in May.

------------------
1991 4Dr Sidekick JLX
Calmini Lift (SOON)
Tires? Oh what to buy?
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
What solid axle?

Let me know when U arrive, we'll go wheelin'

As for the engine, I'm just curious. I don't really need one now, but if something came across, I'd be interrested. U never know what people do with their swaped, running units. I am not in a need of an engine so I don't want to rebuild one. Thanx anyway.

------------------

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MudKick

I would sure like to meet and go wheeling. I sent you an email. Keep in touch.

------------------
1991 4Dr Sidekick JLX
Calmini Lift (SOON)
Tires? Oh what to buy?
[email protected]

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have installed the Calmini 3" suspenion lift up kit to my car,and I am runing 225/70/15 tire as well. I am wondering that can I go for 30.5x9.5/15 tire on my stock rims or my another 15x5.5 rims. I am appriecated that anyone can answer my question.

------------------
Fat Mike
94 Silly sidekick with 3" calmini suspension lift >.<

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Yes, 30/9.5/15 will go on your stock 5.5" rim OK. The only thing you'll have to keep in mind that it is not a popular combination and to put them on you'll have to go to a tire shop that you know. A "normal" big name shop will tell you that the tire is too big, and will not fit.

------------------

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm currently running 235's on stock ride hight...only rubs a bit in the fenders when the suspention system is working at full copacity other wise she dosen't rub at all, I am soon going to be putting a 3" lift on and hopeing to fit 33"'s on her I'll let you know how it goes..
Originally posted by redeye_ksc:
I did my calmini lift, with stock tires...then the 3 inch body lift and still like 3 months of stock tires and finally got my 31's and still had trimming to do.

Personally i suggest saving u're money to do an axle swap, i sure wish i had, but thats only if u really get into the sport, i break too many front end parts..lol

The 30's should fit on, i've heard of many people fitting 235's on stock

------------------
keep the roof facing the sky............and don't die!!!!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I just took a ride in Rhinogears kick with the 3" Calmini Suspension lift, WOW. Sure rides nice, not all lose like a stock kick. I have decided to spend the money on the Calmini lift and go with 8" baja rims with 29/10.5/15's(Swampers) Thanks again everyone for you thoughts and info.

------------------
1991 4Dr Sidekick JLX
Calmini Lift (SOON)
Tires? Oh what to buy?
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I know it will sound a bit unorthodox but I actually would advise against an 8” rim with 10.5” tire. I know it’s a popular combination and the tire manufacturers recommend it, however you need to remember that all these recommendations usually apply to road use. In real trail environment things change a bit. I have wheeled with a few guys with this tire rim combination and they were the only guys I have ever seen losing their bead on the trail. Just recently I went up on some snow and we were following earlier tire tracks. I was going first running 33/12 on 7” rims with 8PSI and my buddy was right behind me running 31/10 on 8” rims wit 15 PSI!
We both run into this hidden root with our right rears going around this corner. He lost his bead, I didn’t.
If you asked someone before we hit the trail, I guarantee they would tell you that I’d be the one to lose my bead. Another thing: a lot of guys running the 8” and 31/10.5 get a lot of crumbs in between the tire and rim.

Anyway, I’d say go with a 7” rim if you’re running 10.5 inch tires on the trail. The 7 inch rim is pretty universal as it allows you to run anything from 9.5-12.5 inch tire. And remember all I am saying here is based on the fact you are driving a Suzuki. If you drove something much heavier, It’d be a different story….

------------------

[This message has been edited by MudKick (edited March 01, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by MudKick (edited March 01, 2002).]

G

·
I'm sure I haven't gone into trails as hard as you Mudkick. I not looking forward to getting a flat! I haven't knocked a bead off, but I have got rock rash on my 15x8's.
A 7" would tuck the rim in and I've noticed the bead on Swampers is "tighter" than other muds I've run, so it would probably make a good combo.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm running that combo and have yet to loose a bead, in fact i usually go down to 8 psi also, but it is true about crubs ...lol not so bad on trails but as soon as u hit the dunes i had to get a couple pounds of sand taken out of each tire...not really that big of a deal but it is a hassle

Other then that i also got the 8 inchers cause i planned on going up to a 33 eventually and would be able to get away with mounting them on the same rim..i hope..lol

I've got some nice rim rash but those black powder coats take a licking

------------------
My british smile is due
to the fact that i eat
rocks 4 dinner!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will try both on, I don't do much wheeling. I just want the stance. I have seen the Calmini lift with 30's on 7" rims and it just isn't wide enough. But like I said I will try both on to see.

Question: Why do you get **** in your beads with 8" rims? I don't air my tires down nearly as much as you guys do.

I try to stick to fairly simple trails. I like how the body on my kick looks with out scars.

If some one has a picture of a 7" rim VS a 8" rim that would be great.
I never thought about the diffrence before. I always thought wider was better, atleast with zuki's.

------------------
1991 4Dr Sidekick JLX
Calmini Lift (SOON)
Tires? Oh what to buy?
[email protected]

·
Registered
68 Posts
well if u talked to calmini at all the actually recomend a 7 inch rim, with the 8 i had to do some body mods.....with a B.F.H.
lol
if u wanna be safe get a wider tire for the 7 inch rim, or get the 30's and put on wheel spacers so u look wider..or or or get some custom offset rims

------------------
My british smile is due
to the fact that i eat
rocks 4 dinner!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.