BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty....

On another board somewhere I read a post that satated that the stock springs on a Sidekick were about an inch higher than the ones of a Tracker...... and that the springs of a Sidekick Sport were even stiffer, and would result in an extra inch if installed on a regular Kick (Which makes sense, since the Sports weighed so much more with all of their luxury items, yet had the same clearance!)

Anyone here that can confirm / deny this? I've come across someone who is parting out 11 Sidekicks, and I can get a set of the Sport coils for pretty cheap.

Cheers!

:canadian :beer

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
You are correct, there are differences in length of sidekick springs.
They depend not on the brand, but style though.
The softest, (shortest) are on a 2WD, they were only made as Trackers. Then the 2Dr 4WD, then 4Dr, which are even stiffer and a bit longer. My own experience after swapping 2Dr springs for the 4Dr ones was closer to 0.5 inch front and 3/4 rear of boost, rather then a full inch. I never had a personal experience with Sport springs, but it would make sense to me, that they would by even stiffer.
BTW, I'd like a pair of 4Dr rear springs if your contact has them available.

·
webwheeling...
1,475 Posts
longer springs...

That's interesting... Different rates for different trackick's.
Mudkick do you think that would help your problem?

mudkick+ramp=clank,clink,clink

:*******

Sorry, I couldn't resist... It's been a while.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Dave, first off, I don't have a problem. It's the others that do. LOL.
It's all good.:beer

I quite frankly don't pay attention to that. By the way, I already run 4Dr springs in the rear. My truck is still in development stage. I test different set ups all the time therefore my rear springs are not permanently attached to the bottom of the axle as my fronts are. I utilize a limiter strap on daily basis so the spring does not come out. For the ramp, to showcase a full flex, I disconnected the limiter strap. Naturally, the coil came out. But I’ am sure you understand all that and just like to yank my chain. Hey, just for you, I may even fasten the rear spring temporarily next time.
What can fix my problem is eventually finalizing the suspension set up, affixing the coils permanently and getting rid of the strap. But before this happens I foresee a couple of years, as finances do not allow for my V6 swap, followed by bumpers, underbelly armor, full ext. roll cage, winch, full size spare, and an array of other miscellaneous necessities that cost money and change a weight of the vehicle.
I would like to try a pair of rear coils on the front axle for now. I may swap them back for the IFS ones, once my heavy V6, front bumper and a winch will add a few hefty hundred pounds to my front.

·
webwheeling...
1,475 Posts
Ha Ha ha!!!

Mud,
When have you known me not to keep it on the light side? Of course I'm yanking your chain! Personally I'd check out some of the "after market" for spring options. I know I'll be in your boat soon continually tweaking spring rates and angles and such until I'm happy with the "finished" product. In fact we've just recently come up with the, in my view, the ultimate front springs for a SPOA Sami buy that same trial and error method. The "after market" I'm thinking of are those companies in the states that sell parts to the do-it-yourselfer / pro race teams and shops (can't remember the name right now). It seems as though those "Stock car" springs would be ideal given their relative cheapness and multitude of lengths and rates. I didn't do that and now I'm stuck with a really expensive set of Rubicon Express springs for a TJ. I know they will work but for the price and knowing the other options I would have done it differently. Any ways, the cheekiness was just my way of saying "hi" 'cause I hadn't been lurking on the board(s) much lately. So back to :boring now...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts