Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what the hell is it?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Pw82 said:
it also supposedly helps the tire run cooler = less tread wear
pffffft! like little cooling fins! that the funniest thing ive heard! :D
it is effective, especially on ice and snow, but the tire does wear slightly faster and chunks slightly easrier.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Yep, more traction and more chunking. They don't chunk as much if you only sipe the center lugs.

I only have mine siped about 1/4" deep at a time, so when they chunk I don't loose a whole lug. More chunks= more biting edges and void space. :D

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I've heard both sides of the story: siped tires wear faster and siped tires wear slower. Which is the truth? Mudhucker votes that they wear slower, which may be the case, but I'd like to hear a SOLID answer, y'know, as opposed to the general 2-bit ones :)

Yes, they definitely chunk more.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Well , of course the rears are wearing faster on mine, but I launch a little harder from the lights etc around town.

Since the siping has been done, the fronts haven`t worn very much at all compared to no siped i had b4. The wear on the rears is a little funny. The rear tires are more worn on the inside edge than the outside, similiar to a front end alignment problem?

Heat is reduced, road noise is reduced and warranty wasn`t voided.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hey Ty,

You run your 33's in the winter don't you?
How do you like the siping in the snow and ice? Similar to a winter?

Also, how mcuh did you pay for your set of 33x12.5R15's? (approx)

·
Registered
352 Posts
usually I run a set of 4 studded and siped Yokohama True winters. Since siping the 33`s the difference is not very much. Ice is where the difference is. I dont have the traction the studed tires have, but I can get traction on a 12% grade with no problems. Still think it is the best $60 I ever paid.

I bought my tires at the Vernon Big O store and paid just short of $1100 with taxes/mount and balance etc. Actually I piad a little more as I did it through City Financial.

I could always scan a pic of my previous set and the set I have now to show you the wear differences of non siped and siped tires.

Honestly, stay away from the Vernon store. They price tires according to the person, same as the store that was near the Grand in Kelowna. best service of the stores I have used was the Big O in Westbank.

I can get ahold of the store here and get a price for you if you like.

·
Registered
34 Posts
any lower mainland places that sipe tires?? it seems that i have to either do it myself or go south to the states or to the interior

1 - 14 of 14 Posts