BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of getting the parts needed for my sm420 swap into my FJ40.
So I started looking for the adapter plate needed to bolt the tranny to my t-case.
As it happens a Canadian company does make a plate but this is where it gets confusing.
The price they quoted me is in U.S dollars.
I wrote back asking if this was correct and I was assured it was.
The plate is $300 U.S even though it's made in Canada and I live in Canada !!
So I looked elsewhere and found the plates sell for anywhere from $100 U.S to $300 U.S.
So if I'm paying in U.S bucks I figure I'll shop in the U.S, I go for the $100 dollar version.
I have a buddy who has a plate and is a machinist, he said that he can make me one on a satuday if I want but I figured just buying was easier.
Seems like a strange approach to sound business management.
Just my opinion of trying to get a good product at a reasonable price, and keep my money in Canada.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs,1inch body, 35's, detroit locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
1,269 Posts
I can understand that alot of these little Canadian companies do most of their business online and in the United States, but charging a Canadian citizen US bucks is bullshit. If they want you to pay American prices, take your business to America and tell these other yahoos where to go.

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm glad you feel the same way.
I'm not a cheap b*****d ,and I actually am willing to pay a little more to buy Canadian.
But I'm not paying twice the price .
And I sure won't pay in U.S funds.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs,1inch body, 35's, detroit locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Darryl, in my opinion you should go for the cheaper plate. Find out what kind of material it is made of and make your decision from there. They are all generally going to be the same and if you were wise you would make a duplicate for future use whether it breaks or another project of yours. You can use the second to beef up in the future if it is necessary. And as far as I know it is just a plate! Generally, plates are plates. I could make a plate that could work but I think you are better off going with the cheaper American version. All it is really doing is holding the Tranny and T-case togther.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
dp there is only one plate mto buy................ seriously dude dont mess arount with a "cheaper" knock-off. You get what you pay for

Dan

------------------
jeeps are for girls...
....cute ones!!
79 FJ cocked,locked and ready to unload!!!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've researched the cheaper plate, the guys that have bought it say it's a work of art!!
And that it's a high quality piece.
I'm going for it out of spite, I'm not paying U.S dollars for a product made in Canada by Canadians, while I live in Canada!
Like I said before, I'm a loyal Canadian who would rather spend his money here, but if thats not possible I'll go elsewhere.
Just my opinion.

------------------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts