BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice from someone who's familiar with the sm420.
I swapped one into my cruiser for some low range reduction, everything went fine, but the tranny makes a TACK TACK TACK TACK TACK tack tack tack..........noise when I push the clutch in , at speed in 2nd,3rd or 4th.
The noise will also appear if I put it in nuetral and coast, with the clutch in or out.
the noise dissappears as the truck rolls to a stop.
It otherwise shifts great, makes no noises, is quiet and does not want to pop out of gear.
If I leave it in gear while coming to a stop it will not make any noise, the noise only appears if it's in nuetral with the clutch in or out. The noise is also there if it's in nuetral and the clutch is engaged. That's if the truck is coasting though, it will not make any noise will at a stop.
It has me stumped, I pulled the top cover and it looks to be in great shape, no chunks on the bottom magnet ect.
Any tips appreciated.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, extended shackles, 1 inch body lift, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, SM420, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did just that, and couldn't find any problem.
It really has me baffled.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, extended shackles, 1 inch body lift, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, SM420, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Take it to a tranny shop and tell them to find the problem and give you a quote. Usually they will expect you to pay for the work right after. But just tell them you can't afford it right now, and you have your problem found at least, free of charge (I assume). I did that, except I got my TH350 rebuilt a little while later by them, cause I really couldn't afford it at the time.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nobody out here works on this kind of stuff.
I guess I'll just drive it and see. I figure I shouldn't be putting a 3 ton truck in nuetral and coasting anyway.
If it breaks I'm only out 200 bucks.
Maybe I'll buy another one just in case.

------------------

1 - 4 of 4 Posts