BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to grind the front output flange and matching u-joint flange for clearance on the tranny (sm420) that I'm swapping in.
Will this effect strength?
I think I took to much off so now I'm looking for a landcruiser 3-speed t-case front output flange and front driveshaft flange........DOH !!!

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, 1inch body, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Sorry to say I told you so. If you got steves plate there would be no problem. With His plate you can actually run a 4spd output flange with a cv-driveshaft cool hey!!

------------------
jeeps are for girls...
....cute ones!!
79 FJ cocked,locked and ready to unload!!!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah , this plate is more like Warden's or Classic Cruiser's, but I got some info and it will work out just fine.
I do need a front out put flange because the one I have is RUSTY! So if anyone knows where one is lying idle please let me know.
A new one is 65 bucks though.
If I'd have used a 67 flange it would require no grinding at all, but I didn't know it until now.
One good thing about this plate adapter is that it doesn't clock the t-case down near as far as Extreme Bends does, so I won't be giving up any ground clearance and my skid plate will still work.
I am however very pleased with the plate. It's made very well and bolted together with no problems. I'm recomending it to anyone who wants to do this swap and save $300

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, 1inch body, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dan , I don't think you know this, but with Steve's plate you still need to grind the tranny and flanges also.
There is no way it will fit if you don't.
I've actually seen his plate, and the tranny and flanges needed grinding to fit.

------------------

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Hey dp, I live righ by steve. Ive seen his set up on his truck and his demo model thousands of times. There is absolutly NO grinding nessesary. Call and ask he can even send you some pics of the tcase with the LARGER 4spd flange without the grinding.

Dan

------------------
jeeps are for girls...
....cute ones!!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw an extreme bends plate on a 77 FJ45 at the BHCC in south dakota last year.
I got under and looked at the install, and asked questions because this was the plate I was going to use. Instead of classic cruiser's or wardens.
And this fellow had to grind the flanges and tranny to make it fit, but most running the sm420 assured me that they all require some grinding, wardens required the most. And wardens has been selling hundreds of these plates for years.
But I went with the "spaceghost" plate from Steve Smythe because of the cost. 100 bucks!
I'm not slamming Steves product, I'm sure it's a fine piece of work, it is just out of my budget that's all.
You seem to be taking this personaly Dan.
Has my question here somehow offended you??
And if anyone else knows of a spare flange, please let me know. I can always speedi-sleeve the one I have($40) but I'd rather have a good used one.

------------------

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Not personal at all
I was just trying to get the facts straight. Not that it really matters...... I was just informing you. BTW I have a flange set for you. One off the tcase and one off thr d-shaft

Dan

------------------
jeeps are for girls...
....cute ones!!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What year is the t-case flange Dan?
I have another u-joint flange from the other end of the driveshaft that my buddy gave me, so I only need the front output.

------------------

1 - 8 of 8 Posts