BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very close to purchasing a Man-A-Fre H41 tranny (4.9-1) or an SM420.
What do you guys think of your SM420's driving habits ?
Would you do it again?
I know the GM trans has a 7-1 1st gear but I was thinking the Toyota might make a better driver.
Any thoughts on this?
Has anyone bought an H41?
Thanks.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs,1inch body, 35's, detroit locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
1,269 Posts
An SM420 has a 7:1 first gear?
That's low. Real low.

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

·
Registered
163 Posts
I havent actually driven a sm420 , but Ive heard guys saying on the lcml that after a bit you get used to it's basically being a three speed. the first being so low you don't really use it during normal driving.
I went for an h55f in mine, and at present with 31's and 4.11's first seems really low. I only really use it on hills. much lower than my old 4 speed.
soon when I get 33s on there I guess I'll be using that first a fair bit

cheers,
ryan

------------------
nothin that works

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
My experience is with a SM420 behind a 350 in a 40 series. Drove that rig for a winter and loved it. I don't know anything about the H41 but behind a 350 I really liked the 420. I found it a lot of fun to drive with that tranny.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So if an SM420 is only going to have 3 usable gears in town will I have to rev the piss out of my 2F in order to select the next gear?
Anyone driven a 2F/420 combo?

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs,1inch body, 35's, detroit locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
my buddy has an sm in his 40 behind a 350 i don't think it will be much of a problem around town as 2nd is much like 1st,in town you need to realise its more of a three speed than four,1st is too low,2nd & 3rd for in town and 4th for highway

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I made a deal for a SM420.
I'm going to get it on Sunday, if it's a good one I'm bringing it home.
Then I need an adapter plate and I'm set.
I guess if I don't like it I can always switch back.
But 67-1 1st gear should feel nice behind my slow reving six.

------------------

·
1,269 Posts
I'd say screw the driveability and go for that sweetass first gear ratio.

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's what I'm doing.
I brought the SM420 home and am exited to get going on it, need the adapter plate first.
Anyone use the Extreme Bends plate???
I like your slogan Big Bad Pete !!!

------------------

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
When doing the sm420 swap I deffinitly recomend the EXTREME BENDS plate. This is the only plate (to my knoledge) that DOESNT requior grinding of your tranny

------------------
jeeps are for girls...
....cute ones!!
79 FJ cocked,locked and ready to unload!!!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That sounds sweet, because I heard that you had to grind the tranny to fit the flange on the t-case.
I figure thats what I'm going with then.
He also has an exellent web page.

------------------

1 - 11 of 11 Posts