BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just joined because of this one question - plus I like talkin trucks. Anyway, to answer your question - in case you hadn't found out on your own yet - is no one makes a snorkel for our Fords....or Chevy's or Dodges. Wanting one, I made my own. I can email my pictures to you. I'd post a few here, but I'm not seeing a way to do that

Oh yeah, glad to be here!

------------------
SLOWLY working on resurrecting my Bronco....and her name will be called Phoenix

·
Registered
19 Posts
You are definitely gona have to build your own.Most build them out of pvc pipe. If you don't like the look of that it is really easy to build one out of fiberglass

------------------
Happiness is belt fed weapons and road noise

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Or you could get some 3" Stainless steel exhaust tubing bent at an exhaust shop and use that. You can get it bent in sections and then use flanges and O-rings to hold the joints together for easy assembly. The Stainless can also be polished nicely to look fabulous and if you hit a tree it won't destroy the thing the same way that fibreglass or pvc would in cold temperatures! That is what I would do, might be a little more expensive but it will last forever, if you use regular exhaust tubing you could get it coated at a chrome shop so it wont rust and contaminate your engines air supply!

------------------
Shopping List...
NP203, 15"x7-8" 5x5.5" wheels!

·
Registered
19 Posts
That stainless tubing idea is GREAT never thought of that. I have made a few fiberglass ones for buddies. Man they are going to pissed when I fab up one out of tubbing.

------------------
Happiness is belt fed weapons and road noise

·
Registered
16 Posts
Even the ARB snorkels use ABS plastic, which is what I used: 3" ABS plumbing. I even have a toilet flange at the top, to fab a mount for an air filter at the top. I haven't been able to test mine out, and I still have to get some rubber corrugated tubing, but I'm condifent mine will work just fine

------------------

·
Registered
3 Posts
how would relocating the air intake to the inside of the cab work. would the engine get enough air. i was just wonderin

------------------
Keep honking I'm Just reloading 78 bronco
soon to have dual detroits and 37inch boggers

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think it would be okay in the summer but might take your warm air out of the cab in the winter. Just a geuss.

I went to the auto wrecker today and scrounged up some parts for my external snorkle and tomorrow I will go to the plumbing store to try to get the rest. Does anybody know where I can get a hole 4-5" in dia. cut into my fender. I might try some body shops.
I still need ideas of how to attach the hose or PVC pipe that I might use, to the outside of my truck.
------------------
96 F-150 HULK

[This message has been edited by Rpurdom (edited December 27, 2001).]

·
Registered
16 Posts
If I knew how to post pictures here, I'd show you how I attached my intake tube to my A-pillar. see if I can describe this easy enough: I pop-riveted two 3" L-brackets, with two rivets per bracket. I took one long zip-tie and secured the tube that way...one per bracket. It actually worked out so it doesn't interfere with my view at all. Kinda nice actually

------------------

·
Registered
16 Posts
Originally posted by bogger37:
how would relocating the air intake to the inside of the cab work. would the engine get enough air. i was just wonderin

If you can find a straight shot into the cab to end your snorkel, I think you'll be just fine. Just as long as the water you dive into isn't deeper than your snorkel, which is why I ended mine at the top of the cab, outside

------------------

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can put em up in my webshots page. I'll repost with the addy soon as I'm done. ALSO guys, this is for a carb'ed engine.

Hmm, this is the 5th time I've been asked for my snorkel idea....maybe it's time to market it

------------------

1 - 13 of 13 Posts