BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanna do a SOA on my YJ and i was woundering about how much would it cost? And what tools are needed to do the job? Also how much lift would it give me?

------------------
92 Jeep YJ with 1 inch shackle lift and a 2 inch body lift running 31's

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks that answers some off my q's but about how much does the kit cost??

------------------

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks wil

------------------

·
Registered
149 Posts
to be honest, I don't really think you need the kit. What you do need is a welder or access to someone with one because you need to put up spring perches on the top.
I got a set of adjustable spring pads from Lou Fogger Racing that made it pretty easy to get the angle and the weld them up in place.
I think you could save money by buying parts seperately. The biggest cost will be the slip yoke eliminator. I personally can't comment on how necessary those are since I never had to deal with one of those.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Greg

Why didnt u need to deal with one?? it is not needed?

------------------

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've seen an SOA YJ without SYE
t-case was only dropped about an inch too...
I honestly have no idea how it was done seeing as he had a low pinion 9" in the rear aswell
confused the hell outta me
angles looked pretty steep but he's not spitting out ujoints so go figure

i guess it can be done
I actually almost decided to attempt it before my t-case exploded
now i have an SYE so no worries
maybe next summer

This YJ I was lookin at was a mannual 4.2L
maybe it's a shorter drivetrain than what i have but now looking at it...
I don't think it can be done.

At the very least the DS would need lenghtening...

I don't think I'd buy the kit either.

You'll need brake line extensions (can probably be bought at a local spring shop or even a parts store).
New U-bolts (two are one size six are abother size...they are on the front axle, just drive the jeep to the shop and have them measure them) and centering pins and spring perches (at the spring shop as well)
and a dropped pitman arm...atleast 4"
(a hi steer setup would be much more street friendly but also cost $$$!!!)
you will also need to figure out what length shock you will need and how they are gonna be mounted

and that's about it....
just make sure you've removed the trac and sway bars previous to the install...

you'll also need access to a welder and a buncha tools.

didn't you start a thread about this a while back that caused a big stink (hehe that would be me)...

It's honestly a big job and not an easy thing to do.
think and read about it lots before you attempt anything...
make sure you are confident...that you can break down the entire thing in your head...
I usually get pretty obsessive about these type of things and lay awake for hours thinking about it.
So when the time comes to pull the jeep apart I've done the thing like fifty million times already in my head.
then the next time when you pull it apart it's sooooooo simple...you don;t even have to think about it.

Now, before i hit the post reply button i just wanna see what these smileys look like or do just because i've never seen anyone post them before...

------------------
1992 YJ with 33's

[This message has been edited by RYJAY (edited November 05, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RYJAY

I think i did start a post about this b-4 i even owned my jeep when i was trying to figure out what SOA was. Now i know and now i want one!!!!!!

Dont start a big stink again LOL

------------------

·
Registered
149 Posts
Greg
Why didnt u need to deal with one?? it is not needed?
Well, it's a long story, but it's all Rob Bryce's fault

Ok, maybe not THAT long. You see, I busted my t-case (I thought it was the tranny at the time). I started emailing people looking for a tranny upgrade and looking at my options.
Rob Bryce emails me and says "hey greg, there is this t18 and d20. I think it's a drivers side drop. Granny low first gear, it'll be perfect! Cheap too!"
(or something to that effect
)
Later on it turns out it's passenger drop, but "not to worry, there's a set of dana 44's from a full size jeep. You want them?"
(again, I'm paraphrasing
)
A little while later, I have a complete new drivetrain delivered to my door. Now since I'm swapping both axles, and I have to redo the spring mounts anyways, I figure I might as well do an SOA! What a great opportunity (i was looking to lift it at the time but I was kinda set on a 4" lift kit)

Now the reason I didn't have to deal with an SYE is because the dana20 t-case has a fixed output yoke, not that sliding crappy thing that's on the np231. The t18a/d20 combo is also 11" shorter than the stock setup, giving me a longer driveshaft, and allowing me to run an SOA with a shackle lift without a transfercase drop.

So that's my little story.

I think somebody should write a Jeep SOA FAQ article.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[

I think somebody should write a Jeep SOA FAQ article.[/B][/QUOTE]

Greg are you volunteering?

------------------

·
Registered
149 Posts
Greg are you volunteering?
<silence>... <tumbleweed rolls by>...

I know something about SOA's cuz i've done one, but I am by no means an expert. Not sure I'd feel comfortable preaching about SOA. There are people here who know way more about this than me.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
How about a "what not to do guide" then Greg?

Wes

------------------
...a member of the herd
www.hot.alloffroad.com

·
Registered
28 Posts
greg can i please pick your brain?
i have a 81 cj 7 i just purchased.I was thinking toyoya p/u diffs with 4.10s in a SOA
I am expecting to redo the drive shafts ,what else could I expect?...SYE...big transfer case drop? I know your not an expert,I know you didnt use toyota diffs but you might know
what to expect. thanx

·
Registered
149 Posts
i have a 81 cj 7 i just purchased.I was thinking toyoya p/u diffs with 4.10s in a SOA
I am expecting to redo the drive shafts ,what else could I expect?...SYE...big transfer case drop? I know your not an expert,I know you didnt use toyota diffs but you might know
what to expect. thanx
"SYE" is a slip yoke eliminator. You do not have to worry about this on a CJ. I would guess you probably have a t176/d300 combo.
I don't think you need a BIG transfer case drop. You could probably even get away without one maybe. You might want to look into using a CV driveshaft. I don't know how steep of a driveshaft angle you will end up with, but that would probably direct whether or not you use a transfer case drop.
Another popular mod in doing a CJ SOA is to use YJ springs. Nicer ride & flex.
Come out to the ramp contest and have a look. I'm sure there will be a few SOA trucks. Mine should be there.
more info about the ramp contest can be found here: http://www.bc4x4.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000999.html

·
Registered
382 Posts
Originally posted by tony:
what to expect. thanx
A Jeep with Toyota axles.........sounds good to me
I don,t think that you will run into as many problems as the YJ guys have due to the fact that your CJ came factory with a far superior transfercase the Dana 300.
You will have to run a CV in the rear driveline ( maybe in the front too ) and there are Toy to 1310 (stock jeep style) conversion u-joints available.
I would definitley go for the superior spicer slip yokes for the drivelines (the ones with the blue polymer coating)

after all real Jeeps have six lugs.........***

*** (excluding me, I will soon have eight..)

------------------
1948 WILLYS flatfender
Gradually becoming un-toyotafied.......Got 4.3???
http://www.ottindustries.com

·
Registered
28 Posts
the main reason for thinking about the swap is that i herd the rear diffs in cjs are weak unless you have a one piece axle.one piece axles are around a few hundred bucks, i can get toyoa diffs front and rear complete for that.Toyota diffs are strong axle wise, birfields are not the best.Ialso know that yota diffs are wider=alot more stable

I know yota diffs can handle 33" tires ,can jeep axles?even with a one piece axle?????

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.