BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
to be honest, I don't really think you need the kit. What you do need is a welder or access to someone with one because you need to put up spring perches on the top.
I got a set of adjustable spring pads from Lou Fogger Racing that made it pretty easy to get the angle and the weld them up in place.
I think you could save money by buying parts seperately. The biggest cost will be the slip yoke eliminator. I personally can't comment on how necessary those are since I never had to deal with one of those.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Greg
Why didnt u need to deal with one?? it is not needed?
Well, it's a long story, but it's all Rob Bryce's fault

Ok, maybe not THAT long. You see, I busted my t-case (I thought it was the tranny at the time). I started emailing people looking for a tranny upgrade and looking at my options.
Rob Bryce emails me and says "hey greg, there is this t18 and d20. I think it's a drivers side drop. Granny low first gear, it'll be perfect! Cheap too!"
(or something to that effect
)
Later on it turns out it's passenger drop, but "not to worry, there's a set of dana 44's from a full size jeep. You want them?"
(again, I'm paraphrasing
)
A little while later, I have a complete new drivetrain delivered to my door. Now since I'm swapping both axles, and I have to redo the spring mounts anyways, I figure I might as well do an SOA! What a great opportunity (i was looking to lift it at the time but I was kinda set on a 4" lift kit)

Now the reason I didn't have to deal with an SYE is because the dana20 t-case has a fixed output yoke, not that sliding crappy thing that's on the np231. The t18a/d20 combo is also 11" shorter than the stock setup, giving me a longer driveshaft, and allowing me to run an SOA with a shackle lift without a transfercase drop.

So that's my little story.

I think somebody should write a Jeep SOA FAQ article.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Greg are you volunteering?
<silence>... <tumbleweed rolls by>...

I know something about SOA's cuz i've done one, but I am by no means an expert. Not sure I'd feel comfortable preaching about SOA. There are people here who know way more about this than me.

·
Registered
149 Posts
greg can i please pick your brain?
i have a 81 cj 7 i just purchased.I was thinking toyoya p/u diffs with 4.10s in a SOA
I am expecting to redo the drive shafts ,what else could I expect?...SYE...big transfer case drop? I know your not an expert,I know you didnt use toyota diffs but you might know
what to expect. thanx
"SYE" is a slip yoke eliminator. You do not have to worry about this on a CJ. I would guess you probably have a t176/d300 combo.
I don't think you need a BIG transfer case drop. You could probably even get away without one maybe. You might want to look into using a CV driveshaft. I don't know how steep of a driveshaft angle you will end up with, but that would probably direct whether or not you use a transfer case drop.
Another popular mod in doing a CJ SOA is to use YJ springs. Nicer ride & flex.
Come out to the ramp contest and have a look. I'm sure there will be a few SOA trucks. Mine should be there.
more info about the ramp contest can be found here: http://www.bc4x4.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000999.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.