BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start, any help I can get from people on this site would be much appreciated. I've seen some pretty cool rigs on this site and I would like mine to be 1 of them.

I am planning a solid axle swap into my 92 Ford Exploder. Here are some questions and statements.

1. I have located a 79 Full Size Dana 44 from a Bronco complete with steering and radius arms. Price $450 - is this a good deal?

2. I think cutting down a full size axle to the EB width is probably cheaper than doing a disk brake conversion?

3. What are the dimensions of an EB Dana 44? Each side, axle tubes, axle shafts, etc?

4. Is it true that the L side knuckle to diff housing is the same on EB and fullsize for dimensions meaning I'd only have to cut R side?

5. Should I buy a new R axle or can I cut down the fullsize? If I can cut it, how and who?

6. I will be using the stock radius arms and some lift coils (may eventually do the wristed radius arm).

7. What should I do about the rear axle bolt pattern? I could buy custom axles or I could cut off the 5on4.5 bolts and weld on 5on5" bolts? Then I should be able to swap the drums off a fullsize 8.8" and bolt them to mine? Will my axle and flange work will fullsize drums?

These are my questions right now. I am trying to have some sort of budget on this project and doing some of the work myself.

Anyone whose done this before, your help would be appreciated. Ie: Chris Siebert, how did you do your axles? Larry, Wes Rempel told me you know of someone who did a similar swap on the Island?

Thanks

Dale

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
I think you should cut down the right side of the housing to EB size and then use an EB right side inner axle.

But what do I know.

Dan.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Why not keep it full width, and swap a 9" into the rear for the matching width and bolt pattern. Get some WIDE flares, and you'll have a very stable Explorer that looks really cool.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hi Dale -

I swapped a matched set of EB axles into my YJ a couple of years ago, so here's my 2 bits:

1. I have located a 79 Full Size Dana 44 from a Bronco complete with steering and radius arms. Price $450 - is this a good deal?
Not especially. Engine Finders will charge you $250-$300 for a complete Ford D44, with your choice of brake parts, etc.

2. I think cutting down a full size axle to the EB width is probably cheaper than doing a disk brake conversion?
It'd be close, and at least you'd end up with a high pinion axle (stronger) if you shortened the '79. OTOH, using the EB D44 means you can do the whole job yourself, and no worries about shaft or housing failures from poor workmanship. If I were to do it again, I'd go with a shortened axle to get the high pinion and extra strength.

3. What are the dimensions of an EB Dana 44? Each side, axle tubes, axle shafts, etc?
I live and work in Burnaby, if you're interested in getting under the Jeep and making all the measurements you want. I've done the GM disc brake conversion too, if you're interested in seeing that...

4. Is it true that the L side knuckle to diff housing is the same on EB and fullsize for dimensions meaning I'd only have to cut R side?
The full size Bronco/F150 drivers-side axle is about 1/4" longer than the EB one. It's close enough that you can install the newer shaft in an EB D44 without cutting the extra 1/4" off the splines, if you're running an extra diff. Easy enough to chop saw that 1/4" off if you want, and slip 'er in.

Should I buy a new R axle or can I cut down the fullsize? If I can cut it, how and who?
You can do either, but having LeJeune or Moser shorten a FS shaft will be a LOT cheaper. Most EB aftermarket places offer new shafts for that application.

One other thing to be aware of, Dale. EB D44 axle u-joints are smaller than the later FSB and F150 ones, so you can't mix and match stub shafts. You get the bigger joint for free if you swap in the drivers-side shaft. For the pass-side, you'll need to keep this in mind when you go shaft shopping.

Good luck,
Chris

------------------
See my Jeep's website:
www.bc4x4.com/chrisw

·
Unregistered Abuser
557 Posts
I live and work in Burnaby, if you're interested in getting under the Jeep and making all the measurements you want. I've done the GM disc brake conversion too, if you're interested in seeing that...
Can't add any to the above but I'm interested in looking at the brake conversion...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ulysse said:
Can't add any to the above but I'm interested in looking at the brake conversion...
You're the guy with the EB with 4-wheel drums, right? I can see why you'd be interested!

You've got a couple of options:
1) '76 (or so) Chev Blazer spindles, with the matching calipers & caliper brackets, and '76-'79 Bronco/F150 hub & rotor assemblies, hubs, and wheel bearings.
Here's a writeup: http://www.bronco.com/tech/upgrades/disc_brakes/index.html
2) Everything from the knuckles out from a '76-'79 F150 D44. Here's a writeup: http://www.bronco.com/tech/upgrades/F150_disc_brake_conversion.html

Hope that helps!
Chris

------------------
See my Jeep's website:
www.bc4x4.com/chrisw

·
Registered
134 Posts
Funny how jeep guys are such experts on using Early Bronco and Ford parts.

The last HP 44 with disc's I got I paid $400 US for it. I'm selling the knuckles out disc's for $300, it's the going rate down here for EB conversions. So if you getting it CD it's ok. Like some have suggested you can just go wide or narrow. Full width is probably too much for your year Bronco and will give the police plenty of reasons to stop you. I would have the passinger side narrowed to Scout or EB width. Then just get your innner passinger axle narrowed and re-splined. Make sure all your front axles have 1 3/16 u-joints. Over the years people have replaced broken 44 axles with ones from all kinds of things and you may have some wierd ones. If you want to change the rear, get one of the 9"ers that have the housing that tapers out rather than a round one that the tubes just stick out of. You can have one narrowed with big bearing outers pretty cheaply. Make sure you have them narrow it so both sides use the same length axle. The EB uses different size axels so you have to carry one of each size for spares.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.