BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking of doing a hp dana 44 solid axle swap to a 93 bronco (2bit's truck),any good links or info you guys can give us on this swap before parts start to fly?
thanks

------------------
77 f250 460 4 spd, 60's f&r, 38 swampers

·
Registered
95 Posts
hey dean, Matt here. but wouldnt most of it be the same? The size is alot bigger but mainly the cross member and links and such are the same.?? dont know if it helps.

------------------
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

WHEN IN DOUBT GAS IT OUT

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi matt, hows it going?

i am sure the basics and the same principles are the same, i agree...i am looking for specifics for the actual swap...ins and out, and so forth, i did check the ranger station and it, as always was very helpful!
i will be going there soon for my eb dana 44 swap into a 87 ranger soon,i hope, all depends on my buddy kevin?...:)

------------------

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
doesn't the bronco already have a high pinion Dana44 in the front end!!! Why not put a DANA60 under there. Make sure you get the track bar in there. Find an old bronco, 78 or 79 parts vehicle, tear the whole front end out of it, coils, coil buckets, radius arms, c-bushing's and shock mounts. This should be the most straight forward swap there is. Forget putting leaf springs in the bronco...that would be a waste of time...coils rule!!!

------------------
matthew desteur

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes it does have a hp 44 in it, but it is ttb ifs stuff, and a real bitch to work on if you need to get into the pumkin...the straight axle has way bigger tierod ends, stronger axles and drives a whole lot better than the ttb also a simple thing to remove the inspection plate and work on it, but not as cushy of a ride though..:-(
would love to throw a dana 60 in but they are hard to find and about 2 grand plus, also you would have to do some fabricating to put coil setups on the axle tubes and radius arms, definatley doable for sure
the thing with this bronco is that it runs 35/16/15 swampers and will never run bigger tires, the current 44 works fine, but the tierods are too flimsy for the big tires, they are always getting bent under pressure and so forth,and to get a detroit put in the pumkin you have a lot of work getting at it as all the ttb stuff has to come apart,,and finally we have a high pinion dana 44 sitting there waiting to be used, i have tried to sell it for a year and no one seems to be interested, so we are going to use it

------------------

·
Registered
261 Posts
thats cool d stuart. Im also goin to be putting a eb dana44 under the front of my 91 4L ranger when i lift it.

------------------
4 By High

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i wanted to put a eb 44 under my 87 ranger, but there is a chance it might be sold. let me know how your swap went if you don't mind, i just might have to do one again soon sometime..:)

------------------

·
Registered
53 Posts
I saw a story on solid axle swap into late model Broncos 80-96 in 4 Wheel & Offroad.
the company was called Fabritech.I havent looked for them on the web but i'm sure they are in here somewhere

------------------
79 Bronco 33" 3.50,351M-300 soon

·
Registered
296 Posts
I don't know if this info. will help you at all but I'm almost finished installing a straight axle Dana 44 from a 78~79 Bronco into my 80 Bronco. First off, I suggest getting the whole axle setup, (radius arms, brackets etc.), from a 78~79 Bronco which used coils. Next you will definitely need some sort of lift to make things work. I'm just using extended radius arm brackets and longer coils and shocks. You will need something or you will be bashing the engine cross member with the axle. I'm using the radius arms from the stock 78 which are longer then the TTB ones therefore you will have to mount the brackets further back. I've found that just in front of the trans cross member is a good place, (for my setup anyway). Be careful to watch the fuel and brake lines when you drill new holes for the radius arm brackets. The longer coils I already had were for a TTB setup but by cutting a small section from the bottom of the coil they will fit in the spring perch of the 78. You won't loose any height off of the coil if you cut it in the right place. The steering arm from the 78 or the TTB is to long. Either get a fab shop to make a shorter one or what I did was get a steering arm off of a mid to late 80's BroncoII/Ranger. It is about 2"~3" shorter and is a perfect fit. This is the same one that is in the Fabritech kit as far as I can tell. This is all really plan and simple once you get started. The only thing that will cause you grief is where to mount a Traction bar, (this is a must). You will have to measure out a mounting point depending on how much of a lift you have. I noticed that the fabritech guys have included an adjustable one to make things easier. I'm just going to measure a mounting place out. I looked at what the Fabritech guys have done with there bolt on kit and it would make things a lot easier but in my opinion its way to much money, especially when its in US dollars!

C.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts