BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when you do the swap do you really need high steer?? If i buy a parts truck will i have everything i need to to the SAS.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The hardest part of doing a hy-steer or crossover set-up is locating and bolting on the IFS ps-box in a good spot. Since you already have it bolted on it would be really silly to try and adapt the old push-pull system. Do it right and go crossover.

·
1,269 Posts
Your truck will drive more like a Tercel and less like an aging piece of farm machinery. :D Another option is to go with el cheapo crossover steering which is just a single arm that puts your drag link on top of the leafs, but leaves your tie rod down in front. Did that make sense? Martz has a picture...

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yep makes sense. doing a SAS on a budget here hehe

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
But Pete, what if I like driving tractors?
Or a vehicle thats slowly becoming a tractor.:D

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Personally Im cool with my double arm. Like pete said, its not hysteer but it works just the same. Besides I dont see any arizona rocks hanging around the lowermainland;)

Double arm $300

hysteer $1100

ya

·
Registered
504 Posts
im up with that, aqualu rocks and cheap. if you hit something that high, your taking the wrong line:D

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
edilonzo said:
im up with that, aqualu rocks and cheap. if you hit something that high, your taking the wrong line:D
I agree that a double arm is a good low-buck alternative. Still, there are a (very) few obstacles over here where the correct line will put you in danger of nailing your tie rod into a stump or rock.
Example: Neil's Knoll on the DSS trail is a good example. You can't crawl the rock because it's pretty much always wet (mud all around the place). You need to use speed but there's a stump in the middle of the good line. If you don't get off the pedal quick enough, your tie rod hits the stump. Saw Vern bend his tie rod a few years ago doing that obstacle.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
389 Posts
to answer your question
no you really dont need hye steer

·
Registered
504 Posts
but if you hit your tierod your also going to hit on the pumpkin and then youll get hung up anyhow, or youll bend the popcan toyota housing:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
DanO should post a pic of his housing. Its killer

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
just ask greg how many tie rods he has broken or bent, even better, read his trip reports and seems like every 4th trip he screwes his up. I;m going hysteer when u get my junk:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts