BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 76FJ40 rear driveshaft in to be lengthened 1 inch, after leaving it at Traction in Regina for a week I finially phoned on friday.
They told me that it can't be lengthened, it uses metric tube and blah blah blah.
What a waste of time!!!
So that leaves me thinking that I should cut it apart close to the diffy end and sleeve a piece of tube inside it for my 1 inch extension.
Anyone try this before? I can have it balanced again after.
The dudes at the shop told me they could shorten a front shaft to fit, but I traded my extra front to a buddy last week......DOH!!!!!!

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, 1inch body, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
1,269 Posts
They kept it for a WEEK without touching it? That's horrid. Maybe it's time to look into getting a full custom jobber? $$$

------------------
I'd tell you about my truck but you probably wouldn't believe me.

·
Registered
416 Posts
They should be able to lengthen it for you.When I had my front drive saft made from a chev and toy shafts he had to make an insert for it and then welded it togeather.It is not balanced and I don't get vibrations till speed gets up to 100kms.This all only cost me $35.Try a different shop and maybe they can help.There should be tubing the same diameter.

------------------
"Born and Bred To Rip and Shred"

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe I should try to lengthen it myself then get it balanced.
Or I could trade my rear to a friend for his front (which was mine last week) because he needs the rear and I can get the front shortened to fit.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, 1inch body, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Get the front and get it shortend to fit would probaly work best.Maybe go to a different shop to get it done though.

------------------
"Born and Bred To Rip and Shred"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts