BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4 off road and nsor didnt respond and it's been like 4-5 weeks. Anyone know howmuch it would run me to get a solid axel installed in my sonoma?
thanks

·
Registered
426 Posts
I considered this at one time.

Hey...

There use to be another website called S-104X4.com and there was a lot of talk and even a tech section jsut for swapping solids under sonomas.
It has been done, and i don't think it would be that bad. I was considering doing it with a 2wd i had. But in the end, i would have had to lift it soooo high to get past the egine crossmember... i just sold it.
First, i would figure out how heavy of an axle you want to go. The dana 30/35's out of YJ's were really common because there were lots available, but that was becasue jeep guys wanted something beffier. But the pumpkin is on the right side. Another option is the front dana 44 from a early bronco... i think it was a 74 or something. The problem with S-10's is that the drive shaft comes out on the drivers side... most solid axles are older gm/chevs, and all had the pumpkin on the passanger side.
The next thing you have to consider is to go leaf springs or coils. The leafs a by far easier because you jsut pull all the ifs stuff off, weld on some hangers, and wala... solid front. But if you want to do it right, some travelling arms, panhand bar and coils seemed like a better way to do it for me. The 3, 4, or 5 link system is very adjustable, so your options are unlimited for height ride ect... you could also use coil overs for something serious. I however never got as far to figure out how that would pass inspection.
So figure out your desired tire size, and the axles you want to use... the figure out the best way to hook up the suspension.
What ever you guess it will cost... i would double it.

Good luck. Keep us posted on how it goes... There has to be someone that has done this on here.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
How much depends on.......
1)what axle yur using D30, D60, custom length, ect.
2)suspension Leaf spring, Coil spring, coilovers
3)junk yard axle, or rebuilt axle
4)Locker selection
5)Gear ratio
6)Shop rate
7)Shop competantcy
Too many variables here.
I'ld say anywhere from $1000 up(unlimited ceiling) if yur not doin any work yurself.:D :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
whoa, you really looked into this before. I would like 33's to 35's for it, but i just want to know if it is worth it for me to invest the money into a small truck like it. And i would be getting it installed by a shop so i know it is done right AND I know nothin about doing somethign like this.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Try this link for a D30 equipped S10:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29063&highlight=s10

Personally, I like the Early-Bronco setup with radius arms - better approach angle.

You can also take a stab at narrowing your own housing - say a RC44 from an F250. I narrowed a Chevy D44 using only a grinder, chop saw, and 5lb hammer. (Just needs to be properly indexed and welded). Just make sure you have a "target" longside axle shaft before you start. I found an EB shaft was 8-1/8" shorter than the Chevy, so that's how much I cut off the tube.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
u2, are you registered with pirate4x4.com? I tried to get this guys email to contact him about it but i have to send in a permission form to use the message board and get his email. Anyway if you are registered or anyone else that is registered could you help me out with an email adress please? thanks

·
Registered
445 Posts
Big Stu Dawg your other option, up to you totally would be to go with older style running gear. A few variables of course but you could run an older style transfer case and transmission to run GM diff's. I have a 91 fullsize with all GM running gear {solid axle front of course} and it runs great. Just my thoughts.:D

·
Registered
426 Posts
my opinion...

If you are gonna get a shop to do all the work... It's gonna be expensive, very expensive everytime they have to stop, think about somehting... messure it twice weld on a brakcet... test to see if it works, then remove it and try again... you're gonna pay for that. No to say it wouldn't be worth it... if you really really want it, it is worth it. If you have the excess cash, but that is only stuff of fairy tails.
Can you get 33's on a s-10 without a front solid axle? Buy the lift kit for the s10 = 3" then get a 3" body lift....? might be easier, but you would still not get the other benifits of a solid front axle, like the articulation and gearing options...
and of course how cool it looks... :D
do lots and lots of research first. there are lots of sites on the net that deals with this, or there use to be. try and find a guy that already did this... and talk to him. See if you can get all the numbers he used and measure up his rig, basically carbon copy it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hey Big Stu Dawg just so you know there is a red S10 running around coquitlam with a solid axle swap i just don't know who owns it:D

·
Registered
83 Posts
The guy that owns the red S-10 in your area goes by the first name of Rocco. He has a Dana 30 under his with a leaf spring setup. I do believe however that he was in the process of upgrading the axle to something stronger. He is a member on the BC4X4 forum, but his handle doesn't come to mind.
Stu dawg, if you want to find all the information you will need to do this swap, goto www.s-10extremist.org. There is all kinds of excellent information about the SFA swap, and plenty of guys on that forum who have done the switchover, fabbed up, etc, and will help you definitely. I have considered doing the swap myself, and have compiled a good dose of info to do the fabrictions. The only thing holding me back is the motor vehicle acts. Because mine is a newer truck, there are all kinds of loopholes I've got to jump through. If my truck was a pre 94, I woulda shoved that chunk of solid tubing under my front end eons ago. Any other help, I'm more than happy to lend it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey thanks for all the info. I already have a 3" body lift in and with that alone i can get 31's comfortably and 32's with mild trimming. Only thing is, i would have to get the susp. lift for isf installed by a shop cause i dont really have the tools or know-how to do it. Im sure there would be someone around here that could help me, but its a lot of work to do and an ENORMOUS favor to ask of someone. And the kit itself is a ton of money too. Plus solid axel looks sweet on little trucks, I have seen em on the net and man they are cool. anyway, gotta run and thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Big Stu Dawg said:
u2, are you registered with pirate4x4.com? I tried to get this guys email to contact him about it but i have to send in a permission form to use the message board and get his email. Anyway if you are registered or anyone else that is registered could you help me out with an email adress please? thanks
i am on it, here is his e mail

[email protected]

·
Registered
608 Posts
To do the swap with a YJ D30 and leafs it could cost you aprox $2000. This is doing it your-self. The front spring mounts are easy but the rear mounts can be a little tricky. Me and a freind are making a copy of a bolt on kit that was made by stge west.
If you want to talk about it send me an e-mail. [email protected]

·
Registered
38 Posts
s-10extremist.org is definately where it's at for info on SFA conversions. soon as i get my hands on an EB width D44 and 9", my Blazer goes on the blocks for a makeover :*******

1 - 14 of 14 Posts