BC 4x4 Forums banner

Some Labour Day long weekend photos

2K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Wes Rempel 
#1 ·
Prospector's shelter near Anderson Lake Rd

#10 ·
Greg, have they started logging Green yet? I thought they were going to this year. Maybe it got put off till next year.

Can you send me directions to that creek crossing at Mud Cr? I have been though there several times, but have not seen that crossing.

thanks
Wes

#13 ·
Wes Rempel said:
Greg, have they started logging Green yet? I thought they were going to this year. Maybe it got put off till next year.

Can you send me directions to that creek crossing at Mud Cr? I have been though there several times, but have not seen that crossing.
If I'm not mistaken, that's the original road going to the Mud Lakes area. It runs roughly parallel to the current road.

BTW, great pics, Greg!

...lars

#17 ·
Hey Greg,

Where's that picture overlooking Anderson Lake taken from? The reason I ask is that my buddy has a cabin on the lake and we were thinking of heading up the in the next couple of weekends. Also, have you ever taken the road that goes around the south(?) side of the lake? If so what's it like?

#18 ·
DM, Lars, MH: Thanks! The rest of the pics will be posted on my website "eventually" when I have time to write a trip report; I'm still at work, since 9am, so that'll give you a reference... :)

Wes: Yes, they've started logging Green Mtn; the first half-km was a highway and it was logged on both sides. We met Jon Edgar and Chris Donald at the top, and John mentioned that there were still ongoing discussions with MOF re the 20m buffer zone btwn the logged area and the trail to maintain the illusion, so hopefully that will still happen and the cool part of the trail will remain.

That creek crossing is damn hard to find; as Jud said "If I didn't know this road was here, I wouldn't know this road was here!" :D I've only been there twice, once from each side. So, I don't know if I'd even be able to lead you there, let alone tell you how to get to it. There were no new bridges on the road we were on.

Lord-Wolf: If you and your family like exploration-type 'wheeling, you'll have to come out with us some time. I spotted a high-line road way up above the tree line, travelling just below the peaks that are visible in the Holman-Yalakom ridge photo, and want to go back to find the access either before the snow or next year after it melts. It's so cool, we were high up in the mountains, and we had to look up with the binoculars to get a good view of it. :) Most of that trip was 2wd, with the odd spot like Green Mtn and that creek crossing requiring lockers. If we leave on a Fri night, we should have enough time to locate and explore it for a Sunday evening return. Send me an email if you're interested.

GJTJ: I'm a bad influence that way. :)

MasterC: From the microwave tower on Mission Ridge (the pic with the Sami). Just caught the light right, then the clouds moved in and it looked totally different. Never taken a road on the south side of the lake; I've seen dwellings there but it looks like they're boat access only.

1BFT: Hey, any time away from work is awesome, but yeah, we enjoyed ourselves. :)

#19 ·
Greg said:

That creek crossing is damn hard to find; as Jud said "If I didn't know this road was here, I wouldn't know this road was here!" :D I've only been there twice, once from each side. So, I don't know if I'd even be able to lead you there, let alone tell you how to get to it. There were no new bridges on the road we were on.
I've been on it once (John Edgar was leading) and all I remember, when we were heading toward the Mud Lakes, is that the turn-off was a downhill left off of the main road when it (the main road) had been going uphill for about 100m or so.

Hmm...I think Jud might have been with us on that trip, too.

...lars

#22 ·
I have not been up this year, but generally the spot where the snow says around is the slide area (5800') just below the bowl that looks out to the lakes. Cabin is at 6800'
With snow, yes lockers may be necessary, but otherwise a good driver and an engine that likes running at inclines at altitude is all you need.

Labour Day weekend is the prime weekend to do Green. The snow is normally gone by then but starts to fly shortly there after.
Last year there was only a little bit of snow in the bowl and up towards the peak as could be seen from the cabin.

Wes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.