Registered
574 Posts
Try Scott Spring in Surrey.

·
Registered
281 Posts
re: coilovers

Mud Jester said:
why don't you just go to coil overs instead.... probably cheaper...or equal. and you get coil overs.
And then you'd have to make mounts for the coilovers and find space to actually mount them. rear has room, but the front would not work without eliminating the strut setup. doesn't sound like that efficient of an idea to me.

What about using coil spacers instead?

If you get coils made they will want to know what rate you need as well as the height. You could try some race shops, Mopac can probably order in coils. Doubt you'll find anything in the 350+lb/inch range of the front end ones though!

Could try looking around wreaking yards for ones that will work. Rears are quite compatible with other cars/vans/trucks, but the fronts will be difficult again.

why do you need the longer coils, what else have you done?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I was basically just looking to drop in new springs instead of purchasing a new lift kit with a price tag of over $1000, current mods to my rig are 235 tires and 1" coil spacers at the moment its just not enough clearence but looks like I might have to bit the bullet and get a calmini 3" lift kit instead....but that won't come for some time.... well if any one knows of a slightlly used lift kit let me know its a 92 geo tracker well thanks for all the info keeps me thinking:beer

·
1,269 Posts
Keep looking, any spring shop that can't make you new coils for that application isn't worth talking to at all... PROVIDED you give them the right info. You should know the weight of your rig at the corners that you want to get coils made for and the spring rate and width and all that other good stuff. If you go into a good spring shop with that info they should be able to spin you up something no problem.

If you're still having troubles I have a buddy who works at a spring shop on Scott Rd that could definetly do it for you, but I don't remember the name right now. If you'd like I can get the name and phone # for you.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey that would be great its just I can pull out all the springs ( Iknow the front and rear are different) and if this would help for them to fabricate a set of 4 I will do. Please get me the information so I can contact them to see if this would work. thanks

·
1,269 Posts
Are these variable rate springs? I just learned today that my the place my buddy works at either does not like or cannot make variable rate coil springs... no clue why not but thems the brakes. Sorry!

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
jeepp said:
im not sure what are varialbe rate springs so let me know howto find out if they are and I will check it out
A variable rate coil spring usually supports more weight as it is compressed for example, the first 2 inches of compression maybe rated at 450 lbs/inch and the next 2 inches of compression may be rated at 800lbs/inch.

Here is a comparison between a taller variable rate coil and a standard non-lift coil

·
Registered
281 Posts
rears are a constant rate, forgte what the fronts look like. Basicly if the coils stay the same diameter and same spacing between round they are not variable.

You might run into several problems when going much more than 1.5" lift without modifying other things.

·
Registered
303 Posts
.... hence why Calmini's kit comes with so much more than just the springs. Even the Old Man Emu kit comes with the shocks. I wouldn't go more than an inch with the stock struts.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.